​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
West Cliff Theatre, Clacton

Lee asked if I was going to get a bit of sea air on Sunday and the answer is YES!!! Clacton-on-Sea, here I come!

Hope to see lots of you there.

Re: West Cliff Theatre, Clacton

Couldn't make this one, would have needed to travel Sunday, and the journey was showing as 8 hours each way on National Rail - one late train and it could have all been scuppered! Hope everybody who does go has a brilliant time.

Tanith we will do our best to post something on here asap for those of you that can't make it tonight
I wasn't sure I could make it but I had my arm well & truly twisted

I hope to meet up with some of you later on.

Sounds painful Joan!
Have a great time everyone & please bring back lots of reviews.

Stephen Rahman-Hughes tweeted a few hours ago that he wouldn't be
able to perform at the concert tonight as he has to fly to Milan
on an urgent matter. According to the Swan Lake website they are performing in Milan at the moment and Stephen's wife is on the tour, hope everything is ok with her.

It looks like Amanda Henderson will be there to support Lee tonight.

maggiemay

Holy crap - Lee was truly amazing tonight! New song - All of Me (John Legend) was A. Maz. Ing.

I confess to a glass of wine or two so I will post more tomorrow but suffice to say, he topped High Wycombe in a huge way. :)

New song eh? Sounds good. So grateful to everybody who shares these concert experiences, even the ones I've been to because there's always something I've missed and... oh well, we can't have enough of Lee can we?

All of Me - I love that song & always thought I'd love to hear Lee sing it.
Maybe I will one day.

What a fantastic show. Lee was on top form
he looked & sounded very very happy.
I would like to thank the ladies that we shared an after show drink with.
I think we could have talked all night about Lee's performance.

I will try to do a review tomorrow but her are a couple of Stage door pics to keep you going until then
 photo clactonSD2.jpg

photo clactonsd1.jpg

photo 2014-11-16231646.jpg

It was raining in Clacton on Sea on the 16th November 2014, and a mist hid the sea from us, but nothing could dampen our spirits. The British seaside on a rainy day in November (well, on a rainy day any time of the year really) is not the most uplifting of places and boy I needed uplifting after a traumatic 2 weeks spent with my 94 year old mum who was hospitalised with a critical condition, thankfully, she is now out of danger, but very weak. It was an up to the line thing whether I would be able to get to Clacton, but I did and was looking forward to the much needed healing power of Lee and his voice, plus a good old catch up with friends.

After hearing reports of his amazing performance in High Wycombe, I was hoping that he would be on the same form, or even better. He was, according to those who were at High Wycombe, better! The theatre, as Lee described it, was one of the old fashioned type and he expected the likes of Roy Hudd to appear on stage behind him. He said how lovely it was that that type of theatre was still active. There was no balcony and the place was pretty full with a great atmosphere from an enthusiastic audience. We learned that the theatre is run entirely by volunteers, technical, FOH, cafe/bar, and they were brilliant. In fact the stage lighting was one of the best ever that I have seen at a Lee concert.

The intro to Pure Imagination started, Lee walked up to the mike to huge applause, was about to start singing when a lady in the audience shouted "my mum loves you". The audience burst into laughter as did Lee, this seemed to set the tone for the whole evening. It took a little while for him to control his giggling and start singing but he did and from then on he was just wonderful (please someone create some new words to describe his voice!!)

We learned that Stephen was unable to attend, so Amanda was the only guest. She is just lovely, and has really grown in confidence, no doubt helped by Lee. The set list was mostly the same, but in slightly different order and only song that was missed out was Here Comes the Sun which he sings to close part one, but at Clacton he had received a request from a lady in the audience to sing Close Every Door for her 60th wedding anniversary. He did say that he hoped he would be married for 60 years sometime, then did his little rendition of "all the single ladies", muttered I'm 33, and at some point joked that his face cream was good, but not that good!!!

I think it was after Kiss that a lady in the front row shouted "can I have a kiss", Lee made some jokey comment which I won't mention here, but suffice to say he graciously granted her request.

He tried out a new song, All of Me (by John Legend). WOW, what can I say. I love the song, but somehow Lee wove his own special magic around each word, bringing, in my opinion, a more sincere and softer expression to the song, I melted. I do hope he keeps this in ***ure set lists.

The whole evening flew by, he looked and sounded fantastic, was very flirty and funny, but dramatic and emotional when the song required it.

There was a crowd waiting for him by the Stage Door, singing "Singing in the Rain" - which it was, to pass the time. He signed and chatted for about 15 mins. It became evident there that he was suffering from a bit of a cold, but you wouldn't have guessed from the quality of his performance, it was faultless IMO.

Thank you Ruthie for the brilliant review, much appreciated. Also
thank you Joan for the lovely stage door photos, Lee certainly
looks very happy.

Thanks ladies - lovely pics and review!

Thanks for that review Ruthie. So good to hear all about a concert that I couldn't get to.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed a little bit of news about the concert for those of us who couldn't make it,much appreciated

Ruthie, that was a wonderful review - I did not quite hear what the girl said to Lee at the beginning, but his reaction did sort of set the mood for the evening, didn't it? I remember he said he was not expecting such a rowdy crowd.

I am leaving for home today and packing this morning so will not have time for a full review yet, but I do have a few stage door photos to share.

It was so lovely seeing everyone again. That really is the best part of a Lee concert. Well . . . almost the best part.

Love you all, and love Lee Mead!!!

photo imagejpg1_zps1be7a0e1.jpg

photo imagejpg4_zps7f945791.jpg

photo imagejpg3_zps5e078d9c.jpg

Safe Journey. Luv you too Maggie

Ruthie Thanks for your fantastic review.
reading reviews & meeting friends makes concerts even more wonderful.
( if that is possible )

Safe travels Lin & thanks for your SD pics.

I will try to write something later on
in the meantime work is calling

btw there are some of my photos on the Meadaholics web site www.lee-mead.co.uk

I am lucky enough to go to quite a number of Lee’s concerts – and I often get asked 2 questions. Question Number one is why do I go to see a concert over and over again when I have seen it numerous times before – and Question 2 - don’t I get tired of hearing the same songs over and over again? My answers are always the same – Every concert is DIFFERENT and the man who sings those songs takes each one and makes you live and experience that song in a way that no other artiste has ever done for me before.
Clacton was no different – it was a long trek there and back (8 hours each way) but it was sooooo worth it.
From the moment he walked on and somebody shouted out that they loved him it was an amazing journey of being carried along on an emotional rollercoaster. His set list covers so many different songs that it really is like being on a ride! You can be clapping along with ‘Crazy thing called love ‘ and then a few songs later you find yourself crying as you listen to Bring Him Home or Fix you.
I love the way the friendship he has with Amanda Henderson comes across – and love their duet As Long As Your Mine – even though sometimes you can see them struggle keeping a straight face during this song I love their version of it so much more than others I have heard. Amanda has a beautiful voice and is as down to earth and as friendly as Lee is – listening to them both its rather like them having a chat to you in a relaxed and friendly way.
I love his version of Fix You and the way he now sings Its going to be alright a couple of times during the instrumental bit of it – so beautiful – so simple but so powerful in its own way.
Lee has become so much more confident and relaxed on stage now and its so lovely to see how much he is loving being on the stage.
I am not good with words – and I am sorry that its not really a review as such of Clacton – but hope that you enjoy it anyway.

Thanks Ruthie for your lovely review and Fi, don't put yourself down, yours is lovely too. How I agree with you that every Lee concert is different. Nothing can beat seeing Lee perform live . I can't really add anything to your reviews you've both captured the atmosphere so well. One thing I do remember though is the group of young fans waiting for him at the SD (the ones singing Singing In the Rain), once they had chatted with Lee and had their photos taken with him, they went back into the car park and were so so excited to have spoken to him. One in particular, she was about 14/15 I would think, danced around and screamed, you'd think she had won the lottery. It was lovely to see this from his younger fans. .

Safe journey Lin.

I don’t go to every concert & I wasn’t going to go to Clacton BUT I am so glad that I did.
Tbh it didn’t take to much arm twisting by my companion to get me to agree.
As Fi said every concert is different & this one was like a mini celebration being the penultimate gig of this years tour.

We were queuing up to buy our tickets at Liverpool St Station when we saw a couple of fans that we know just behind us. We had time to wait so we had a coffee & a chat about the joys that Clacton had to offer us.
We sat together on the train & it was Lee chat all the way.
When we arrived in Clacton it was tipping down with rain & even though we knew our hotel wasn’t far we opted to take a taxi.

After a short rest we went seeking lunch. Thanks for your company ladies.
Then it was time for us to get ready for the concert.
We took a taxi once again. After all we didn’t want to sit in the theatre looking like drown rats did we?
When we arrived there was a few locals already there but the doors were not yet open.
One lady looked though the glass door & she saw Lee Amanda & the band sitting at a table in the bar. Lee got up walked past the glass doors & smiled before disappearing off backstage.
We went in got ourselves a drink & suddenly there was lots of friendly faces saying hi.

We took our seats in Row C & waited with sweet anti****tion for the opening music to start.
Lee walked on stage to huge applause, was about to start singing when a lady in the audience shouted "my mum loves you".
I think everyone in the theatre laughed we heard Lee’s cute giggle.

I was concerned when I read earlier that Stephen Rahman-Hughes couldn’t be there but the last minute change didn’t faze Lee at all.
I have to give praise to Westcliff Lighting team. The lighting was perfection.
Lee ended the first half with CED dedicating it to a couple that had been married for 60 years
After the show I met the couple at the Stage Door. YES they got there before any of Lee’s regular fans.
They were invited in to speak to Lee before he came out to face the crowd.

There was a lady with her children there. Her youngest daughter & son started “singing in the rain “ It was such a fun family atmosphere.
The girl was giving detailed instructions to her mum about how to take a photo on her phone.
She was desperate to have a pic with Lee. So me & Lin said we would try to take a pic as well #justincase. If she is reading this I have a fab pic of her & Lee.
Then her brother had a pic & the girl rushed back saying she wanted a hug as well. (don’t we all)
Lee of course obliged & gave her a hug. She was on cloud 9. I was so chuffed for her.
Forgive my rambles but I can’t add much more about the concert itself except to say I love the new song All of me & I hope he sings it at the Christmas concert.

Thank you, everyone, for your reviews and photos.

I thought High Wycombe was good, but for Clacton was even better! First and foremost, this is the only concert where I have been able to get there in one go, without going through London or changing forms of transport somewhere en route - what a bonus! I haven't been to Clacton for 10 years (my mum used to live there) so it was a nostalgic trip for me. I remembered the theatre, as I used to see it when I visited her in the hospital next door.

There was a real buzz in the audience for this concert, right from the start. Lee was in great form, and we had lots of chat and laughter (probably to pad it out a bit, as Stephen was missing), but no complaints from us. I agree with everyone else, that the lighting was superb, the best on the tour in my opinion.

Back on 9th October (yes, I've been searching through my tweets!), when Lee tweeted about the John Legend concert, I replied to him that I'd love to hear him sing All Of Me. My wish was granted! I told him at the SD that he'd fulfilled one of my fantasies - to his eternal credit he didn't run for the hills, but asked politely what it was, so I was able to tell him how I'd wanted him to sing that song. I fell in love with it when I first heard a snatch of it on a TV programme earlier this year, and googled it to hear the whole thing. I remember at the time I thought I'd love to hear Lee sing it, as it would suit his voice perfectly, but never thought he would.

What a pity it doesn't fit the criteria of the MGM musicals theme - I would love him to put it on his next album - I guess we will have to wait.

Thank you ladies for all your lovely reviews, reports and photos.
Gosh! Fi...8 hours each way - that really is 'dedication' - what we do for our gorgeous Lee eh?. He's so worth it though!
Fortunately it was a short journey for me this time.

Can't really add anything to the reviews (they are so good) except to say it was a truly wonderful concert, much appreciated by the Clacton audience, and they showed this in 'bucket loads' throughout the concert, and with a standing ovation at the end too.
Must add one thing here though, I just loved the new song 'All of Me' included in the 'Set List'...
This song suits Lee's voice so well, and on Sunday he put every ounce of his being into it - such 'light and shade' throughout the whole song.
I do hope we hear him sing it again soon - it was just so beautiful...

Lovely to see you again Lin. I hope you have a safe journey home, and look forward to another 'catch up' next time you cross the 'pond'

Thank you once again ladies for all your lovely reviews, we have
certainly been spoilt.

Love the stage door photos Lin, the last one where Lee seems to be
holding his nose looks very interesting.

Safe travels back home Lin.

maggiemay

Evening ladies

Thank you everyone for all the brilliant reviews and pics. Safe journey home Lyn. It was so lovely to see you and have a chat. It must be the most wonderful thing to see him standing right in front of you have travelled so far. Your face is a picture of joy
Mind you, all our faces are pictures of joy and other things which Bravenet would not print aren't they,haha. What must he think when he looks into the audience and sees all these women gazing up at him in adulation ???

I can't add anything to the other great reviews except to agree with bells on about the wonderful night he gave us in Clacton. The lighting was amazing and added so much to his wonderful performance. The way they shifted the colours and shapes to suit each song, especially with Father and Son and BHH made it so special.
All of Me was such a surprise and such a mega treat. He sat quietly on his stool ( which is such a, um, treat on its own ) and his voice was spectacular. I just keep reliving it in my head.It so suits his voice. If he sings it again at the Garrick there could well be a major incident. Perhaps we could forwarn the gallant St John Ambulance on duty that they should have everything geared up and plugged in ready for the finish of that particular number........

The way he reacted when the lady in the front row asked him for a kiss was so funny. As no one has actually put in writing his exact but rather non pc words to that request, I had better not shop him either. Suffice to say he quickly recovered himself and edged warily towards the spot lights at the edge of the stage in her direction. She threw her hands in the hair and screamed "RESULT" before giving him a full on smacker right on the lips.He was dead lucky she didn't pull him right of the stage such was her enthusiasm for her task. He backed away, shall we say, "quite quickly" saying in a rather surprised voice "I've got LIPSTICK on my lips", and frantically rubbing it off with his hand with his back to the audience. We had a very good view of this little scenario as, thanks to A/Liz, we were in the middle of Row A with said adventurous sister to our left.
As others have said, the tone was set at the very first note by the daughter who did her mum proud by declaring her good sense in loving Mr Mead. Shame this sensible mother wasn't in Row A, next to Miss Snogger 2014. All her fantasies could have come true in front of her daughter. Phew
I have resolved to take my new granddaughter with me to a concert in the ***ure to A) push my wheelchair and B) shout out to Mr Mead that her aged Grandma loves him

I must add that he looked totally edible on Sunday night. If I had a penny for every time I have written those words on this forum I would be very rich. BUT, its so true. His curls were magical and the navy suit fits him like a silk glove. The brown shoes look so good on his perfect feet (we know his feet are perfect from the Jo days don't we ) and each time he twirls about and the red suit lining flashes in the spot light it sends shivers up and down your spine. That's a polite way of putting it

Thanks for all the fun ladies. We had a lovely taxi tour of Clacton on our way to the station on Monday and saw the little pier that our man had talked about on stage, saying it was "small and like something from the 50's" which it was. Really lovely.
The audience asked him to return next year and he said he would love to if he could. We would love that too Mr Mead

Sorry Lin. I have spelled your name Lyn. It should also read " as you have travelled so far " I used to do a preview of posts every time but each time I preview recently I get a Spam message come up and I lose the lot. So now I wing it
Also "hair" should read "air" when referring to the kissing lady's reaction to him agreeing to her request. That could have been a Freudian slip on my part, as it was quite possible in her excited state that she could have grabbed a handful of the precious curls

Sounds like a great night and another lifetime fan.

I hope he sings All of Me at the Garrick. LOL she had the nerve to ask for a kiss and he gave it. Now ladies no screaming for one at the Garrick.

Thanks so much for all the fantastic reviews everyone. It sounds as if it was a wonderful evening.
Thanks for the lovely photos too. Lin, was he demonstrating the Casualty nose-pinch in your last photo? Hope you had a good journey home.

Love all the details Sue. It sounds as if it was quite a night!

Lovely reviews there. I promise I won't be screaming for a kiss at the Garrick, this is going to be a very special comment and I'd hate to see Lee rushing offstage to be ill if he heard me!

Thanks for all the great reviews and pics.
I saw him pinching his nose at the stage door and I think it was because he was thinking about a question posed by a regular fan as to whether he could give her some idea of when his 2015 concerts would take place as she wanted to book her holidays for next year (a lot of us face that dilemma - mine are already booked). He pinched his nose and closed his eyes in thought, but I think his answer was fairly vague - summer, June, July, August..... September, he may, of course, not know himself yet.

One thing he did say though which brought a huge cheer from the gathered crowd ..... he was hoping for The Pheasantry again!! Whoop

That post of mine should have read 'a very special concert' not a very special comment. Am now sitting in the Muppet corner.

LOVE everyone's reviews and comments! I am back home and at work this morning, sneaking a peek online while the boss' back is turned . . .

Everyone has pretty much covered all I had to say about the concert. It was certainly the best I have ever been to. Lee was having such fun, and as we know, when he has fun on stage, we have fun in the audience. His voice was silky perfection. 'Kiss' was again SOOOOOOOO HOT!!!!! I really did not think he could excel his performance in High Wycombe, but he did. Wow.

'All of Me' was an absolute "moment" that cannot be described. He did the song justice and it is probably one of the most beautiful songs written in many years, imo. I was stunned.

I loved that there were many in the audience who were from the local area and seeing him for the first time. Everyone was charmed by him and definitely "under his spell". The theatre is just a classic venue and suits Lee perfectly. The sound and light crews really did their job.

Amanda was lovely, onstage and off at stage door. They were not facing a drive back to Cardiff so it was more relaxed for both Amanda and Lee. The family waiting for him (mother, son, two or three daughters) were delightful - so excited! That young girl got quite a hug - I wondered whether she would ever let him go!

I had the most amazing time this trip - and meeting old and new friends was a huge part of it. I feel very fortunate to have made some amazing friends the last few years. It's always tough to return to RL, because I never know for sure when or if I will return. But I'm seeing the grandkids this weekend and they will make it all better.

XO

P.S. Forgot to say, be sure and check out the website homepage. The photo police were not so stringent in Clacton and Joan was able get some beautiful ones that give a sense of how special the evening was. Thanks, Joan!

You are welcome Lin
It was a wonderful 10 days & now I am in recovery

here's another SD pic which is both cute & funny

photo clactonRuth.jpg

Thanks for the extra stage door pic Joan, it is definitely cute
would love to hear about the funny bit.

Love the stage door pic. If it wasn't for the smile he'd look a bit like Grumpy Cat saying 'no'!

maggiemay I don't know what he was saying there I just thought that his smile was cute.
He was obviously in deep thought about something.
I wasn't near enough to hear the conversation.
Zoom lense is invaluable at these events

That pic would make a good caption comp pic don't you think?

Thankyou ladies for the great reviews and pics, they are wonderful