​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
An article on fandom - 1D related!

I just read this over on Buzzfeed and, whilst 1D/Zayn Malik orientated, thought it applied to some of the Lee Mead community as well (indeed, any fandom)

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mackenziekruvant/please-respect-zayn-and-my-privacy-at-this-time

Re: An article on fandom - 1D related!

Interesting article. At first glance, you think, "Oh, 1D fans, they're all nutters" .... but then, on further reading, yes, some of the things the lady has done do apply to us! We have definitely sat and debated which shirt we prefer Lee wearing, and the preferred length of his curls, but on a less shallow level we have formed groups of friends who support each other through all manner of ills.

Re: An article on fandom - 1D related!

It's true that the internet is a great place for 'meeting' people with similar interests/crushes. On-line forums and other social media, by making it more fun to be a fan and easier to share news, photos etc on the object(s) of your affection, can help to maintain your interest in someone, particularly through 'drought' periods between events, shows etc.

I think, at times, that such fandoms can help to nurture fan behaviour at the more extreme end of the scale which isn't always a good thing but fandom activity can also be a very positive force. Not only through the supportive friendships formed (as mentioned by ALiz) also in very practical ways. Lee fans on LMAS and at the old Lovelees forum, for example, have raised quite a bit of money for Lee's nominated charities, such as Mushroom.