​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Enchanting Camberley!

Can't wait to hear from all the lucky Lee fans who are at Camberley tonight!

Re: Enchanting Camberley!

May everyone going tonight have a fabulous time

It's a shame Amanda won't be there tonight but, with Stephen standing in as special guest, I'm sure lots of fun will be had!

Lovely review of Lee's Camberley concert on Ro's Timeline page.
Thanks Ro.

I can't believe that there are no reviews on here already. I know that our reviews mean a lot to those fans that can't make it to a concert. So come on just a few lines would be appreciated.
Here is my scrambled review,

Camberley was one of those concerts that I had been getting really excited about.
For us ( a group of September babies) it was also our celebration weekend.
Not really thinking much about the journey I got to Waterloo purchased my ticket and ran to platform 16 to catch the train that was leaving in five minutes time.
I couldn’t believe just how crowded the train was.
Surely they were not all going to see Mr M???
Once on the train huffing & puffing after my shortish run a young man offered me his seat.
I accepted but it also made me accept that I must look very old
The young man told me that the train was full because England were playing Ireland at Twickenham.
As if by magic the carriage emptied at Twickenham and I was left sharing my carriage with the beautifully dressed ladies going to Ascot.
I changed trains at Ascot and when I got off at Camberley I saw a few familiar faces.
One of them asked where I was staying & since we were going to the same place she invited me to join her and her friends to share their taxi #thankyou.
When I arrived at the hotel my room was not ready.
I heard laughter from the bar area and joined the Wj’s there for a coffee. Soon enough our rooms were ready and it was time to relax before getting ready for the evening..
After a lovely meal we made our way to the theatre.
Although our guide did seem to take the scenic route.
When we got there we saw Lee Mead in lights outside the theatre.
We took our seats in Row E a quick look around waving to friends that I had not seen for a while & then the music started.
Lee walked on stage looking extremely relaxed and sang Where or When.
That is a perfect song to start with.
It starts with a whisper and ends with Lee’s voice soaring.
Lee’s voice really suits this MGM Hollywood era & the more I hear him the more I love it.
It was nice seeing Stephen again as well. Stephen and Lee just have so much fun together on stage that you can’t help but smile. I also think Stephen has been teaching Lee a few new dance moves and boy oh boy he moves so well.

I did at times find myself missing Amanda. Personally I would have liked a female voice to dilute the testosterone on stage. Phew it was HOT.
Every now & again I found myself slightly distracted by someone in front of me taking photo’s.
I know it is nice to have them but I would rather watch the show than the light on a camera screen.
Towards the end of the show we were treated to Lee singing Close every door.
A treat indeed.
I have to say that I am not the biggest fan of “I’ll see you in my dreams” I think it’s the faux ****ney accent but it is growing on me .

Thank you Joan for your review...I was just looking for reviews!!

Glad to see you enjo*** it!
My God, I cannot imagine it how nice it would be to be able to go to almost every concert of the man...wow wow wow!!

The picture you took was stunning!!!

Thank you, hope to see you soon!

Leen

Great review, Joan. Thanks!

Thank you Joan for your lovely review and photos, really appreciated.

I had a nasty fall last week and hit my face badly on the pavement,
so I really needed cheering up, so thank you once again.

After seeing him at Camberley. I am always completely baffled as no photo or interview of Lee ever makes him look like he is close up in the flesh. Gorgeous as he is in every picture, he is far more stunning close up in the flesh. I wish I could get a photo to capture this. It also amazes me how different he looks in virtually every picture.

Hi all,

It was a lovely day with a luxuriously short drive to Camberley, whisking up a friend from my local train station on the way. The car park is right behind the theatre so we parked and loitered with the intent of hearing a Meady song or two at the sound check. We stood by the SD (feeling slightly awkward) and could hear the band practicing and Stephen doing his bit but we couldn't hear Lee until we heard him warming up his voice from a side window (possibly a dressing room)! He did a series of similar sounds and one of them was 'yeah, yeah, yeah', going up the bars of sound (doe ray me etc, cant think of the name of it) it was quite exciting and a bit funny to hear. We didn't hear any other songs though and decided to go and get a drink ahead of our meal. After the meal we walked back round the corner to the theatre. Lots of people were assembling as the concert was almost a sell out which is fab for Lee! I have to say also that there seemed lots of younger fans and new faces which was refreshing. Lovely also to see friends and acquaintances. A good mix.

We also sat in row E just left of centre which gave us a good overall view of the stage but was still close enough to get all the detailed expressions. I liked the elevated position. The lighting was quite poor and the first half seemed a bit gloomy as there was no spotlight on him which was a bit of a shame but it was still good to see him on stage again.
He was visibly nervous at the start and after the first song he uttered the words, 'Let's do this!' to Mason and went straight into the second song. All That You Are is still my favourite but I think for performance the best song on Saturday for me was All of Me because it was so full of emphasis and expression.

Second half was good. Lee's duet with Stephen is always fab and I'm so looking forward to the Both sides Now concerts, they are going to be crazy on stage together. Stephen sang 4 songs I think, one was My Funny Valentine which he dedicated to his wife Anj as it had been their 5th wedding anniversary the day before. He also sang Over the Rainbow which I loved as it is so often a song sung by females.

Stephen told us a funny story. He told us that Lee had danced topless on a podium in a hotel in Singapore with fake snow coming down!! I think most of us struggled to concentrate after that! Lee was embarrassed and said that Stephen wasn't supposed to tell us that hahahahh.

Lee added CED to the set after saying that he'd had a rest from singing it. It was amazing to see it again even though we all know it so well. And I love how he asks the audience to click their finger to I'll see You in my Dreams. You also hear the dull humming to the song which is so nice and Lee obviously enjoys that we join in (I haven't yet )

He came out of the SD for about 10 mins, still dressed in the 3 piece suit then straight after, got into a s****y new car and drove away with his mum in the passenger seat. Betsy had been with them for the day and I think he was missing her.
I'm not sue how I will make it to my next date on the tour.

Edit: I'm sorry but the part of the word that is **** out does actually read a cheeky word!
Just so you can see what it was meant to say its: s w a n k y I think we are all man enough to accept that word!

Thanks Jazzy X

Great review, Jazzy!

OK - now I'm wondering why Lee was dancing topless on a podium in Singapore!

Photobucket was not cooperating with Joan so she asked me to post a couple more of her stagedoor photos.

First, a bit of tongue . . .

photo LeeMead-Camberley theatre stage doorjoan3_zpsdxtn7j9l.jpg

Blurry but lovely

photo LeeMead-Camberley theatre stage doorjoan4_zpsh0ujdgpm.jpg

Thanks to everybody who's shared photos.

Thank you ladies for the lovely reviews I do appreciate them as I am one of the unfortunate ones that can't get to a concert.
Thank you so much x

Thank you for your reviews and photos, ladies. I don't feel I have much to offer in the way of a review this time - unless you want another travel saga! Rugby fans and racegoers combined to give us what could have been a most uncomfortable train journey - until my travelling companion cast her charm upon the guard, who was keeping the last carriage empty, for "old people" - and then let us on!!! We're not proud, any perks going we will take!

To be brutally honest, I thought the concert lighting was awful. I felt my eyes were strained trying to focus on Lee, who walked into darkness every time he left centre stage, and had a red halo around his head if he sta*** put. My favourite songs by a mile are "All of Me" and "Lullaby" (which I think most of you will have realised by now ), and it was a lovely surprise to have "Close Every Door" back - and its pop-u-larity was reflected by the huge amount of applause and cheers at the end of it.

There was a family group in front of us, with a young boy, who seemed to be thoroughly enjoying himself, clapping and bouncing along with the music. There was also a hen party in, and I see a photo of the Hen & friend has surfaced on Twitter.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/COUy74ZW8AEoNrN.jpg:large

It was indeed a s****y car, Jazzy - and didn't we all panic a bit as he looked as if he was going to crunch it into the skip as he reversed out of his parking space!

Haha A/Liz, yes I agree that was a dodgy moment .
I agree about the lighting, we nearly 'lost' him a couple of times I turned to a friend next to me and commented that it was like watching a scene from Oliver! The beginning of the second half was more hopeful as a spot seemed to appear (I wondered if Lee had requested it) but then it seemed to fade back to the background lights again.

Many thanks as ever to Joan, Jazzylou and ALiz for the reviews and photos from Camberley

It sounds as though Lee and Stephen were in good voice but shame about the lighting! Lighting can make such a difference to the atmosphere at a concert so it's unfortunate that Camberley dropped the ball on that one

The next concert venue, the Apex, seems to be a fairly new build so hopefully the tech facilities will be much better and the lighting technician a bit more experienced/enthusiastic!

Maggiemay - I hope you're feeling better after your fall. It sounds painful

Thanks Greycat, I am feeling pretty rough as it was a really bad
fall, but onwards and upwards as they say. X

Greycat I have read very good reviews about the Apex Bury St Edmunds and I am really looking forward to experiencing it for my very first time.

Maggie I am so sorry to hear about your fall. I hope that you are on the mend now. xx

Thank you Joan X

What a luxury...seeing Lee without a long drive first. This was the nearest venue on this year's tour and I brought a non Meady friend who also brought another friend. It is hard not to be anxious when you do that. Will they like him? Will the concert be as good as usual?
As we left the car, we could hear the end of Ain't That a Kick in the Head (complete with POW!) Headed off to the restaurant which had many fans dotted about. After a jolly meal, it was off to the theatre noting the lit up sign with Lee's name on outside.
Lee was his lovely charming self. He is much more confident with the songs now so it was unfortunate that, as reported above, every time he headed off for a little mosey round the stage, he disappeared into darkness! It was as if lights were on ration! (perhaps they used too much on the sign outside !!)

My favourites haven't changed. I love Feeling Good, Lullaby (which was very emotional) and All of Me. The Luck Be a Lady duet was great fun. I have to say, I love the waistcoat and shirt sleeves look which was how he came on in part 2.. The audience were rather subdued in the first half but had livened up by the end. The tiered seating at Camberley makes for a good view. My favourite little moment was near the beginning when he admitted to being nervous, giggled and then explained that that was his “nervous laugh!” All in all, another brilliant evening.
At the stage door, it was announced that Lee couldn't stay too long. He came out still in his stage suit, posed for photos and chatted away and then it was off and away. I took one photo and my battery ran out....typical! It's not brilliant but here it is. (Photobucket playing up so hoping a kind person will post it for me)

Here is Cassie's rather luscious SD photo:

photo CamberleySDCassie_zps4xujudj1.jpg

Aww and don't we just love his 'nervous laugh' Cassie That's a lovely photo, shame your battery ran out!

Thanks for all the reviews! I was hoping to make this show but unfortunately couldn't in the end so it's nice to hear other people's experiences

Thanks Leanne and thanks to Lin for posting the pic for me.

Thanks for your review and scrumptious pic Cassie
I also love the waistcoat and shirt sleeves look
There was a nice relaxed feel about the Camberley gig. I hope that continues.

Thanks for your review and the lovely photo Cassie

And not long to the Bury St Edmonds concert now. From a quick look at the Apex site, tickets seem to selling very well so Lee should have his biggest audience so far on this tour on Saturday night. Should make for a good atmosphere! May everyone lucky enough to be going along have a great time