​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lee Runs the Royal Parks Half Marathon

Just in case you haven't seen this on Twitter (and it's nice to have it recorded here too), Lee is taking part in the Royal Parks Half Marathon on Sunday, 11th October. He's running for the Stroke Association on behalf of his friend Jon Trevor.

Link for donations:

https://www.justgiving.com/JonTrevorLifeAfterStroke

Other celebs running for the same cause are Jake Wood (Max from Eastenders), John Altman ('Nasty Nick' if I recall correctly!), Diana Marchment and the lovely George Rainsford (Ethan).

I did a bit of research about the race, and it looks like an early start if any of us want to go and support Lee - 9.00am in Hyde Park! Plenty of good vantage points - the Strand looks promising, they go up it and back again, so you can watch him twice! Lots of other things going on, by the look of things.

https://royalparkshalf.com/

Re: Lee Runs the Royal Parks Half Marathon

Cassie had the idea that a group of fans could club together and cheer him on to give more impact but although that will be pretty difficult to co-ordinate.

I can't get to Hyde Park for 9 but i'm planning to wait at the South Bank (Strand is a good idea too) and if I manage a glimpse I will race to Hyde Park for the finish. Much depends on the weather though. Might be hard to spot him amongst 16000 runners!

Is anyone else planning similar? Happy to meet up. Shame its not picnic season still.

My first thought was 'Ooh yes! - then I saw the start time! For some reason I thought it would start at 11-ish - but, when you think of it, they will want to get the roads back open as soon as possible. If I do go, I would have to forget the buses and Tube it, as all my bus routes go via the Aldwych and the Strand.

I know you don't have to be at the start from the word go, but timing and deciding where to stand is a bit of a challenge! It would be great fun, but I think I'm inclined to act on the spur of the moment on the day - or at least wait until I've seen the weather forecast (fair weather fan!) . However, the thought of Mr Mead in his running gear is very tempting!

Thanks for the links ALiz!

Good of Lee to give his support to such a good cause - and it should be great training for the London marathon next year

Weather forecast for London on Sunday isn't too bad at the moment so good luck to anyone going along to spot Lee and co.

Looking forward (hopefully!) to some photos

For those of us not able to cheer Lee on in person, the home page has the route map and apps to download to watch his progress.

Ah, the wonders of modern technology . . .

And for those of you on the sideline, I hope you will tell us all about it.

Run, Lee, run!!!

You can watch it live on app store or Google play go to royal parks half marathon
Click on that at top of page and see watch live x mazza

Good Luck Lee, George and all the other runners!

Yay! Lee has finished the run! Well done to him and George (who finished a while ago)!

A photo tweeted by Lee of him with Jon Trevor at the finish line!

LINKY THING

Well done Lee and co!

I like the photo from the finish line:

If anyone from the forum made it to the run, I hope you managed to spot Lee

In haste, as we have visitors arriving shortly! I went to watch this morning with a couple of friends, and took this pic of Lee and Jon in the Strand. I don't have Photobucket or anything like that, so here is the linky thing to my pic:

Lee half marathon pic

A few photos for you from Lee's amazing day. Some lovely moments enroute! Thank you to the ladies I shared it with, we couldn't have hoped for better weather, the Serpentine was beautiful in the sun. They are not in the right chronological order but I saved the best until last.

photo SAM_5448_zpssmi7esav.jpg

photo SAM_5449_zps1jhoh3iy.jpg

photo SAM_5461_zpsmjp85ha9.jpg

photo SAM_5501_zpsuw6x8dat.jpg

Amazing photo Liz

That last one ..... .... a moment never to be forgotten!

Great photos! The ROTY is still looking good! He looks like he's pole dancing in that last photo!

johartuk
Great photos! The ROTY is still looking good! He looks like he's pole dancing in that last photo!

I'd say that isn't far off!

Another Liz
That last one ..... .... a moment never to be forgotten!

Absolutely not!

Great photos, Jazz - what a fun day for you and those with you! Thanks so much to you and ALiz for posting your photos - love them!

Thank you so much A Liz & Jazzy for your photo's & comments about the day.
I would love to know the story behind getting Lee to pole dance for you.

I was planning to go but family cir***stances meant that I couldn't
I'm really pleased that Lee saw some friendly familiar faces in the crowd supporting him.
He must be feeling very stiff today

Thanks A/Liz and Jazzy for the reports and lovely photos . Glad it was a great and fun day for all. I think Lee did really well with his run as not sure he had run that far before the actual day . Would have been there, but for Network Rail closing half my train line for engineering works yesterday . Still, maybe they'll be another time
Joan,

Hi not posted for a while as I have been unwell and so has my com****r so here goes.

Decided to go to London on Sunday in spite of still feeling a bit week. As Lee was running for the stroke association I wanted to show my support.Left home early and ran into the first snag ! trains to London where all delayd due to some problem in Didcot. Eventually one did come in going to Clapham and it was decided that we all had to goo that in spite of the fact it was doing the scenic route !! Eventually got to Paddington at 10.30. Tried for the tube just as hundreds of people turned up (some sort of march) and all had the same idea
So got the bus to Marble Arch went accross to where I could see people running and though I would make for the finish and hope Lee was slow !! no one knew not even the stewards where the finish was I followed the runners as far as I could and finally found it after I must have walked at least half the route.
Saw no one I new so figured Lee must be half way back to Cardiff but then lady luck smiled !! I saw George and his wife sitting in the VIP tent and some fella next to them doing streaches for some reason it did not register that it was Lee anyway he sudenly turned around and there he was !! he came over to the fence and said "I wont give you a hug I am all sweaty (like I minded !!) so he held my hand and chatted for a bit I think he was quite hyper but very happy and the sweat was dropping out of his curls. So it all turned out well in the end . Had an equally difficult journey home but at least I had something to think of. (Those lovely sweaty arms (I am started to have a thing about his arms )

Glad you got to speak to him after your mammoth journey, Maggie!

Sorry to hear that you weren't able to make it Joan.

I'm glad everyone enjo*** the photos. I think A/Liz got the best one of the day Apart from Lee's finish line one of course.

I think the credit has to go to A/Liz and C/Liz for the lovely colour of their coats that he spotted us at the side and came over for a breather in the Strand (totally unprompted but rather lovely). He and Jon were loving the support from everyone and, yes it was the furthest Lee has run so far. What an achievement for him.

Jazzy, we were a bit 'technicolour', in orange and red respectively, before we stripped off our coats as the day got hotter! Yes, you could have knocked me down with a feather when we saw Lee & Jon pulling up and coming over to us!

It's a wonder I took a photo at all, as I was so Meadmushed I switched my camera off by mistake and had to go through the process of setting it up all over again. No wonder they were laughing.

As for the 'pole dancing' - he wasn't, of course, but he was doing some rather - ahem - 'interesting' stretches , which involved hanging onto the lamp post for balance. I didn't know where to look!

Incidentally, and unknown to me at the time, a couple of my son's friends were running the race too and one of them clocked me. I might have some explaining to do .......

A/Liz, that is my default procedure with the camera every time I see him. Always wondering why nothing is happening when I press to take a pic!! I didn't even try on Sunday as it was enough of a job spotting him in the crowds of runners. Great day enhanced by the beautiful weather.
"Didn't know where to look!" Hmmmmm. Not buying that.

Hehe, well at least I was paying attention although I was talking nonsense! It was great fun tracking his route. I wonder how many familiar faces he actually saw as he ran the course. Ours kept popping out of the crowd at him but he seemed happy that we were there