​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Barnstaple's Enchanted Evening

We would love to hear from those able to be at the concert this evening - Lee and Amanda look a gorgeous pair!

Re: Barnstaple's Enchanted Evening

Amanda tweeted this photo during the interview:-

LINKY THING

Very briefly, so others can add.
The Barnstaple concert was a very early start, 6pm. After a delicious Sunday roast, we headed for the Queens theatre right in the centre of Barnstaple. It was good to see that the theatre was nearly full. Lee walked on to the usual rapturous applause, looking as handsome as ever in the blue three piece suit. The usual set list applied. I love the first song Where or When - he starts so softly then powers up that sublime voice, ending in what seemed a never ending last note. Amanda sang beautifully, I Got Rhythm, At Last and Somewhere over the Rainbow. Lee joined her on stage and they sort of duetted Fly me to the Moon which included a few cha cha steps - a new addition which I hope they keep in. She also sta*** on stage when Lee sang The Way you Look Tonight, and both of them got the giggles, as Lee said it was strange singing a romantic song to a friend - so funny. They are brilliant together. The early start of course made for an early finish. Good crowd at the stage door and Lee and Amanda spent time chatting and signing before heading back to Cardiff.
It was a fantastic concert, Lee and Amanda and the band were on top form. The only little thing was the lighting on times, Lee disappeared into darkness on the side of the stage for a few seconds before the spotlight shone on him.
Looking forward to the next.

Due to the fact that the concert was due to start at 6.00pm, the distance from Essex and the long train journeys involved (and our past history!), we decided to travel down to Barnstaple the day before to make sure we had no mishaps. The travel gods were with us and we had an incident free journey. Lovely hotel and nice to see three more Lee fans checking in in front of us. We had a delicious meal in the hotel restaurant, grabbed a drink and disappeared upstairs to watch Casualty!

The next day we walked the 3/4 mile into Barnstaple, had a mosey around the town (plus a well deserved coffee), walked back to the hotel for a sandwich and to change into our glad rags, walked into town again and collapsed into a heap in our seats in the theatre. Not as many of the regulars as usual, but still a fair number of familiar faces!

Lee burst onto the stage with a 'Hello Barnstaple - I'm back!" He was on great form, and there was a lively audience, which is always good!

He sang the usual songs, so I'll just try to recall some of the things he said.

He had taken seven hours to drive down from Southend that day!

The notorious 'Louise' has grown a further inch and is now 7ft 3ins!

He had had a Sunday roast in a local establishment, which he named (but I'm not brave enough to do in case I get sued ). Unfortunately he had to send his meal back , as the roast potatoes, Yorkshire puds, chicken etc were all inedible - and he had to make do with a sandwich!

Amanda had a new song, 'Fly Me To the Moon', and before it started Lee kept making her laugh, so she was mouthing 'stop it!' to him as she tried to compose herself. Then he grabbed her and started a 'cha cha cha', which you could see took her completely by surprise. Verrry nice moves, Mr Mead ... and he says he can't dance!

He dedicated Lullaby to Betsy, and changed the last line from 'That's how you and I will be' to 'You and I, Betsy', and again became emotional at the end, as did we all, I think.

There was a lively Stage Door afterwards, as Lee posed for lots of photos and signed everything that was proffered.

Finally we walked (YET AGAIN) to the hotel and collapsed with large glasses of beverages which may or may not have contained alcohol!

As a footnote, the taxi driver who drove us to the station this morning asked us why we'd been to Barnstaple. We said we'd been to a concert. "Oh, was that to see Lee Mead?" he asked, to our amazement. Normally, taxi drivers say 'Who??' when we mention Lee's name, so it was a pleasant surprise. He knew all about ADWD and Casualty. I think he was a secret fan!

Thanks for the reviews, Ruthie and A/Liz!

thanks for the great reviews!

Just in case anyone thought my report was a bit tame by our usual standards, we did have an 'incident' ....

I mentioned getting into our glad rags before the gig. There we were in our respective rooms, in various stages of undress and ablutions, when all of a sudden there was the deafening sound of the fire alarm going off Did I run ? Not likely! I can't speak for the others, but my first reaction, before anything else was to check my ticket was in my bag! Only then did I fling on the remaining garments and stick my head out of the door to see what was happening. I mean, what if we'd been evacuated and my ticket had gone up in flames???? A girl has priorities! Anyway, it turned out they were testing the alarms, so all was well. The man at the hotel thought everyone had been notified - not quite sure how, as we'd been out all day!

Thinking back, I also didn't say how gorgeous Lee looked. His hair was in his eyes (he did ask if it needed cutting!) and is getting longer at the back, just as I love it, and the lighting made it look as if he had a halo around his head, in differing colours as the lights changed. He wore the three piece suit in the first half, and came back minus jacket in the second. Oh, and Amanda had a lovely new blue dress.

Thanks for your reviews Ruthie & A Liz.
Thanks for the detailed description of Lee's hair too A Liz!
Poor Lee & his bad experience with his roast dinner! We know how important that is to him.

Thanks for the concert reviews

It sounds as though Lee was in great form on Sunday despite the disappointment of a nasty roast dinner!