​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
An Enchanted Evening in Winchester

Another Enchanted Evening - hope to hear from those who are able to go. It's sold out and, after the fantastic BSN gig at the Pheasantry, Lee should be in great voice so the energy level should be sky high.

Plus, he did manage to have his Sunday roast - always a good sign.

Re: An Enchanted Evening in Winchester

It certainly was a full house at the Theatre Royal Winchester.
It is a lovely theatre. It's only about 400 seats but it is well proportioned and the seating staggered nicely.
It's almost a theatre of 2 halves.
Stylish contemporary frontage with Edwardian-style auditorium.
It was lovely to see some old friends there.
Lee started with the usual Where or when but oh my it has changed since the start of SEE way back in Bedworth.
he came on stage wearing a tux and white dress shirt. and took time to pose saying the name is Bond He was oozing s,x appeal & confidence.
of course it is still the Lee we all know and love. Full of humour and modesty
Where or when is a perfect start to a perfect show.
The order of the songs are mixed up in my head but I think the first half was pretty much the same as before.
I the second half we were treated to "Bring him Home and Close Every Door
It's lovely to hear these songs as they are real crowd pleasers
He has obviously been learning "The Strictly" because he demonstrated a few very confident dance moves.

I had a couple of empty seats next to me at the end of row B. In the interval, two ladies asked if they could come and sit there, as they "wanted to sit with the groupies"! and "are we within touching distance?" They'd seen Lee a few times before, and were very interested to hear about the Poole concert, which would be doable for them. They were fascinated to hear about the booking frenzy that occurs every time a new venue opens its booking. I think I sold a couple more tickets!

Love that, ALiz! Groupies -

Thank you and Joan for your reviews - hopefully we will have more soon.

In the meantime, JaneW has done another marvelous review. Check the home page for the link.

As always, thanks for the reviews, ladies.

A Liz How funny that you are now know as Lee's "groupies"
Although he did mention a few times that the ladies in the first few rows follow him around to every gig he does.
I was way back in the centre of RowD.
I sat next to a lovely lady that told me the last time she saw Lee was at the Barbican Christmas concert and she got stuck in the awful snow so is now a bit wary of travelling to far. But after seeing him in Winchester she is also thinking of going to Poole & possibly travelling all the way to Wimbledon to see Lee in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

I did attempt to take a couple of pics at the end of the show.
not great but here they are.
 photo winchester.jpg

photo winchester1.jpg

Thanks Ladies for the reviews and photos, including Jane W's on the 'front' page.
On the subject of 'groupies', I remember sitting next to a little old lady way back on Lee's first tour in Buxton and she started chatting to me the minute she sat down. She asked me if I'd seen Lee before 'just a few times' says I . She then asked where I lived no doubt expecting me to say round the corner at 21 Acacia Avenue, when I said I came from the south coast she was completely taken aback and couldn't understand why I should come such a long way. I explained that there were many of Lee's fans who followed him round the country. Having digested this for a few minutes, she then leaned over to me and said quietly 'are you one of those groupies" (she'd obviously read too many stories of the Rolling Stones and the Beatles in their younger days ). I put her right though (and I'm not telling you what I said ), our WJ Group often laugh about that incident.
I can't add too much to what has been said about the Winchester concert, except I agree Lee looked stunning in his tux suit with his eyes twinkling in the lights and was clearly enjoying himself. He mentioned again about leaving Casualty and said he was chatting to Amanda Mealing (aka Connie Beauchamp) and she said it takes you two years to establish yourself in something like Casualty/Holby and Lee said "how long have I been in it - two years - and what am I doing - leaving" and laughed, but he's still clearly excited about doing Chitty. Maybe he'll go back, depends on what other opportunities come his way I guess.
I found it interesting to watch the reaction of 3 girls (mid-teens probably) who sat at the end of the front row (we were in Row B). I think they were possibly some of his young Casualty fans who tweet him but doubt they had ever seen the real Lee before just Lofty on the TV. I could quite clearly see the one in the middle, when Lee came on stage, her jaw dropped and her eyes were transfixed to him (aren't we all) . When it came to the encore at the end when we all sing along to ADWD, they clearly weren't sure what they had to do and didn't know the words (unlike those of us who are re-cycled teenagers ). It then occurred to me that when Lee first came to our attention in 2007 they would have been young children then so missed all the excitement.
If I think of anything else, I'll add it later.

Thanks ladies for all the lovely reviews very interesting as always cheers.

I'm not sure if it was the same girls that AnnieB mentioned, but three Meadmushed young ladies were seen & overheard leaving the Stage Door area, obviously having had a photo with Lee, with one of them saying, 'Oh My God, he smells GORGEOUS!"

The Stage Door was not exactly up an alleyway, but certainly a side road behind the theatre. There was an Indian restaurant at the end, at right angles to the SD, and at one point all the staff were on the steps, wondering what was going on (I think they were hoping for a mega order of curry & chips! ) The next thing we saw, all of them were lining up for pics with Lee, then, with mission accomplished, comparing photos on their phones!

LOL That sounds like the rigt and usual reaction from someone seeing him for the first time live on stage.

That's so fun to hear about all the SD stuff. I missed most of it because I was at the back and happened to be approached by a lady who had come to my loppy meet years ago. I hadn't seen her since and she hadn't seen Lee since Joseph so it was lovely to have a chat to her again. She mentioned that she would love a photo of him one day so I pushed her (not literally) forward around one of the parked cars to go and see him. Her phone wouldn't stay on the flash so I took the photo on my phone for her. We swapped emails and I gave her the photo when I got home. She had enjo*** the show very much and we chatted about how she might get to Horsham from where she lived. I hope she decides to go and see Steve and Lee. I'm very glad she said hello.

The concert was amazing too. He certainly had the X Factor on Sunday and looked utterly gorgeous under the bluey lights with his tux suit on. Loved the show and all the little extras. Again he did a little Strictly dance with Amanda and did a delicious Irish dance style leg flick half way through. He asked the audience if they watched the program and quite a few cheered to say yes. I do wonder if he's thinking about it. He's have a lot of fun I think and for that reason would probably get a long way into the weeks. We'll have to wait and see!

Sounds like a lot of fun was had at the stage door!

Lee in Strictly - yes, please!

It was the first time I had visited the Theatre Royal in Winchester and I was not disappointed. It was a beautiful little old fashioned place with a great atmosphere.
Lee seemed to be on fine form and looked particularly stunning, enhanced even more I feel by the excellent lighting. He was in great voice and full of fun. Those of us in the first few rows were treated to a lot of eye contact as well as the cheeky comments mentioned above. He doesn't normally look at us quite that much but i am not complaining! Highlights for me were Feeling Good and Bring Him Home. The comedy moments were priceless. The Strictly routine and the pulled leg muscle made me laugh so much. Also the ALW 'impersonation" ...magic. The interaction between Lee and Amanda is a joy to watch and you just know that they will miss each other when he leaves.
The audience were very responsive and were clearly enjoying themselves. I sat next to a lady who had only seen Lee twice before. This particular concert seems to have attracted fans past and present.
The stage door photo session with the Indian restaurant guys was very amusing. They seemed very pleased with their pics! Perhaps they will end up framed on the wall of the restaurant, who knows!

Taking photos from a distance was problematic as the stage door area was incredibly dark. I just clicked even though my screen was black and hoped that he was in shot. Here are the few times that he was! (zoomed and cropped)

photo SDC11902.jpg
 photo SDC11900.jpg
 photo SDC11899.jpg
 photo SDC11901.jpg

Oh. My. Stars! To be up that close!

Sorry, got carried away there.

Wonderful photos, Cassie, and thank you for your review. How nice to know this tour is only Part A - Part B to begin in March 2016.

Lovely pics (and review)!

What lovely photos. I'm sorry nobody was able to take my spare ticket but I did enjoy reading all about the concert.

Tanith I am so sorry that you couldn’t make it to Winchester.
Wish you better very soon. Xx
Cassie thanks for posting those stage door pics.
I’m afraid that I was so Meadmushed I forgot to put my flash back on so all my SD pics came out so dark you can’t see anything.

I’m not convinced those gents from the local curry house knew who Lee was but they saw our excitement and got caught up in the moment and joined in.
Well there’s room for everyone,

Jazz that’s nice that you caught up with a lady that you met years ago & lovely that she managed to get a photo with him.

It was lovely to see Donna there with her mum. I had a brief chat with them before the show.

I was also delighted to be handed something special that Lee has donated for out next raffle.
Ladies if you want something to snuggle up to on these cold winters evenings I think this is just the thing .

Hi Ladies, this post made me giggle a lot, I am one of the three "teenagers" sat on the end of the front row. I am in fact 37 my friend in the middle is 30 as is her girlfriend :-) we are obviously wearing well. It goes to show the power on the lovely Mr Mead that even though we have been following him since his first audition on ADWD that we can still be blown away by his presence. I have seen him a few times this year and you may have seen the photos I posted on this site from the in harmony with your gut concert. I am also pregnant and had a nice chat with Lee after the show whilst having a picture. He said having children is the best thing you can do. I told him I was 20 weeks and that I was going to find out the sex the next day, he said that was exciting and he remembered my tweet. I said I would tweet to let him know what it was (a boy). I thought I would introduce myself and saw hi as you all seem lovely. X

That is so funny Carolyn. But we all act like teenagers around Lee
Oh I remember those fab photo you took at in harmony with your gut concert Thank you & welcome

Hi Carolyn, it was my post, hope I didn't offend you, you certainly all looked like teenagers to me from the row behind, so I would say you're all doing very well . I too remember your lovely photos from the 'Harmony with your Gut' concert. Lee was certainly looking good at Winchester wasn't he. Good luck, hope all goes well with the baby.

Hi
I have just noticed that the 3rd photo down looks like it was taken with me. Blonde long hair with a fluffy hooded green coat on. Please could I have a copy of this photo especially if you have an un cropped picture. My email address is carobeard@googlemail.com I think the post was by cassie. I would be very great full. Thanks
Carolyn

Hi Caro, I had to laugh too - oops! By the time you get to our age, almost everyone under 40 look like teenagers to us! Clutching at straws, I don't suppose it's remotely possible you were sitting at the other end of the front row ...... Glad you all had a great time, anyway!

Hi
I have just noticed that the 3rd photo down looks like it was taken with me. Blonde long hair with a fluffy hooded green coat on. Please could I have a copy of this photo especially if you have an un cropped picture. My email address is carobeard@googlemail.com I think the post was by cassie. I would be very great full. Thanks
Carolyn