​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My Feral Heart : London

Tuesday was all a bit mad. (I hope that you don't mind me sharing this )

I was looking forward to going to see My Feral Heart with my daughter in law but a few hours before we were due to go she phoned saying that she was unwell.
I asked a few friends but at short notice they all said no.
So I left work and made my way to Stepney Green station in the pouring rain. Just as I arrived at the station a friend phoned saying if you still have the ticket I can meet you there.
So I walked to short distance from the station to Genesis Cinema to find a huge throng of people all dressed up posing on the red carpet ready for the London screening of “My Feral Heart”
As I got in the queue to collect my tickets I was greeted by some of the staff and pupils of Mushroom Theatre Co
My companion arrived and I introduced her to the star of the film “Stephen Brandon”.
I knew Stephen from my frequent visits to MTC.
His character is Luke is an independent young man with Down syndrome.
Luke looks after his frail elderly mother and the tenderness and love between these two characters is evident from the start.
When his mother unexpectedly dies, Luke who is still grieving for his mum is forced into a care home. Initially he rebels because this carer doesn’t want to be cared for. But he bonds with a very bright bubbly member of staff who has been given the task of settling him in. He sneaks out into the garden and over the fields beyond.
In the garden he bonds with a young man doing community service.
Together this unlikely pairing sharing cheeky funny verbal interactions.
Luke aka Stephen settles in to the home making himself useful and bonding with some of the others.
The scene around the breakfast table was filled with familiar faces from mushroom theatre company
Lovely to see them all on the big screen.
This film is funny sensitive and very atmospheric.
If any of you get a chance to see it I urge you to go. You will not be disappointed
In fact this film proved so po****r that they had to put on a second screening that night
After the screening there was a Q&A with all the cast and crew.
The actress that plays “Lukes” mother”Eileen Pollock” was one of the first to speak saying that in all her years in the business she has never worked with a more caring and professional leading man she has work with Tom Cruise) telling us how Stephen looked after her during the cold November days of filming. Putting hot water bottles around her so that he dead body wouldn’t shiver.Also in the film is Shana Swash Will Rastall, & Pixie Le Knot.
Most of the questions were aimed at the producers Jane Gull, Duncan Paveling, James Rumsey
They all thanked Penni Bubb and Mushroom Theatre Co and we went off to the bar to mingle.
A blooming fantastic night

Re: My Feral Heart : London

photo Feral.jpg

Thank you for that, Joan. I was almost disappointed to miss the US premiere at a film festival last March.

"Almost" because I missed it due to an 'appointment' with a certain gentleman at the Pheasantry in Chelsea.

But I do hope it will show again somewhere close to me. I would love to see it - and will be sure to bring lots of tissue.

Might not manage to get to a multiplex cinema to see this, but will be buying the DVD when it comes out.