​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
Re: Lee at The Pheasantry 2017

Sounds like you had a fab time, A/Liz. Thanks for the review!

Thanks for your fab review A Liz
It was lovely to see you and your Meady partners again

I went to the afternoon show with my hubs and 2 of the Meadaholics team.
As you know this afternoon show was nudged in to replace the February gig that Lee was to ill to do.
So for us it was tinged with sadness that the lovely LinB who had travelled from LA in February couldn't be there with us.

Lee was very relaxed and even did a short Q&A. When a man asked a question Lee seemed a little bit surprised. He said something like " Oh there's a man here"
In fact there was quiet a few men accompanying their wives or girlfriends.

I loved Lee singing Blackbird but I agree with A Liz that "Why God" was my favourite song of this gig.
Lee does MT songs like no other performer. He is so "in the zone" that he almost looks surprised when the audience claps and cheers at the end.

I hope to get to a few more of these Pheasantry gigs.
I can't do them all but I feel blessed that I can be at just a few of them. It's always lovely to see Lee and catch up with some Meady friends

Awwww - nice to know I was missed, Joan.

Thanks for your reviews A Liz and Joan. Good to hear about the new songs - and the new anecdotes!

Thank you so much for that, A/Liz. Funny (and completely understandable) how another fan can have a completely different take on the same song.

Check out Jane W's review just posted on the home page for a prime example.

Her travel issues were similar to yours, however.

I personally am so grateful to all who have shared their review of this particular concert. It truly means a lot.

A Jane W review? I'm off to the main page at once!

Another brilliant review Jane W. Thank you so much for taking the time to write it. It means a lot to those of us who couldn't be there.
As for Lee following the trend and shaving his head. Nooooooooo!!!

Well, what can I say this time? Only that Lee was phenomenal - I don't think he has ever sung better. Emotional, funny, and the power of that voice was just stunning - and he looked, well, just wow!

I know Jane will be doing a full review, so I'll just give you a few anecdotes and memories of the night.

We arrived just after six, to find the usual queue in place We just made it before the heavens opened, and watched people only moments after us come in soaked to the skin. We were only just inside the front door, when a familiar figure walked through the restaurant towards the stairs. "Hello ladies" said a well known voice, as he passed us. Yes, it was Lee, looking absolutely gorgeous! It was going to be a good night!

The concert nearly didn't take place, however! It was very hot there (in more ways than one ), and Lee told us that when he was getting ready, upstairs above the restaurant, he saw a storage room with a freezer next to where he was, so he fancied a bit of a cool off. Somehow, Lee being Lee, he managed to lock himself in the walk-in freezer, but thankfully managed to find the release button on the door before hypothermia set in!

He told us of the forthcoming concert tour for 2018. He hopes to do shows on the last weekend of each month, Friday/Saturday/Sunday! All this, plus he has been offered an extension to his Holby contract!

Lee's guests were Stephen RH (surprise surprise ) and Landi (from the Aladdin panto). But it was all about Lee. The big notes in songs like Maria and Why God made the hairs on my arms stand on end, and Bring Him Home was so emotional, we could see Lee's tears. Then he turned it round and had us rolling in the aisles at a funny anecdote, or singing along with a light, happy number.

It was lovely to see so many people we knew - sorry I didn't get round to speak to everyone, but once you get stuck in your seat (and it is a bit of a squeeze sometimes), it can be hard to get out! See you all again soon.

PS Journey home was up to its usual standard. There was a 10k run going through London, virtually the whole route affecting us. We were told the roads would reopen at 2.00pm, so hung around until then. However, that didn't mean the buses were running, so yet another change of plans and an even longer time to get home. But, as usual, he was worth it.

Sounds like it was a fab night - thanks for the summery, A/Liz!

Poor Lee, getting locked in the storeroom! That's a very Lofty thing to do!

Thanks for the wonderful review there!

Just remembered something else. Lee was talking about how he sings everywhere, even in the shower, at which point a lady from the back of the balcony called out, "I'd pay to see that!" or words to that effect. Cue hysterical laughter (and imaginations going into overdrive!) from (almost) the entire audience and a lost for words Lee!

Thanks Another Liz for your review, always very much appreciated.

Thanks Liz for your review and comments. Can't wait to be at The Pheasantry again, not too long now
2018 is going to be a very busy year!

Thanks for the lovely reviews and can I give a special mention to Jane W's great review as well?

Anyone who was there - any chance of a review of the 25th June Pheasantry gig please, as judging by the tweets it was a really special one. thanks

Your wish is my command, Ruthie Well, my random musings at any rate.

First thing, surprise surprise, we actually had a train from home to London, the first direct one at weekends since the end of January. So no problems - until we heard there had been an accident in the Kings Road, closing the road and all traffic on diversion. This was confirmed on Twitter, so we jumped on the Tube to Sloane Square - where we found everything was running as normal, despite the warnings. The hold ups must have been at the other end of Chelsea.

We took our seats in much anti****tion (as ever). We knew Bobby Davro was one of Lee's guests as he had tweeted a photo of them rehearsing, so knew things would be a bit different.

Lee looked gorgeous, in a new shirt and trousers combo, and no socks, which he was at pains to point out to us (although I had already glimpsed a tiny flash of flesh! ). He was in a very happy mood, and had us in fits of laughter. Apropos of nothing, he announced he would love to have a cake shop, and would happily serve cake and coffee all day long! Then he asked for a flat white coffee to drink during the show, along with his usual water. I can't remember all the funny things he said, but I remember at one point thinking that Bobby would be wondering who was the comedian there! During "Back for Good", instead of the chorus of "want you back, want you back" he was singing "wash my back, wash my back" ....

During Bobby's spot, he made Lee do his James Blunt impression again. Lee duly sang "You're Beautiful", and then Bobby sang impressions as Lee called out the name of the singer. Very clever. Lee remained on stage and was very much the straight man and butt of the jokes! The panto in Southend will be very funny! Oh, yes, they sang "Ain't That a Kick in the Head" together.

Stephen R-H was the other very welcome surprise guest (we thought he was away!), always lovely to see him.

A slight change to Lee's set this time. "Feeling Good" was back, just because he felt like it, in place of "Love is All Around". Otherwise the songs were the same, but possibly in a slightly different order, I can't quite remember. As ever, his voice was stunning, and also as ever, "Why God Why" was my personal favourite.

On a more serious note, Lee dedicated "Blackbird" to the victims of the recent terror attacks, and said how angry he still was at these appalling tragedies.

He mentioned next year's tour again, and promised that the Dreamcoat will be going on tour as well! Can't wait!

Many thanks for your lovely long review A Liz. Good to know that Lee was in such a happy mood. I love hearing all the funny things he says and talks about. No socks! That's just the sort of info we need. Exciting news about next year and the Dreamcoat. Thanks again.

Thanks for the review, A/Liz!

Thank you Liz for taking the time to do such a lovely long review, very much
appreciated.

Thank you so much AL, much appreciated. It's always good to hear extra little snippets of these concerts, each one is different that's why I try to get to as many as possible.

Just in case anyone was wondering why I haven't done a review of last Sunday's Pheasantry, it's because NOTHING HAPPENED!!! However, my usual random musings are below, if anyone is interested.

We caught a train (yay!), caught the Tube (to avoid the bike racers) to hotel, then bus to the Kings Road - everything bang on schedule!!! Not like us at all. The only thing of note was, as we boarded the bus, there was John, the violinist from Lee's band, already settled down with his instruments etc! "See you at the gig," he said. Cool!

We had decided to go early this time and eat in the garden outside as it was a nice evening. It soon started to fill up with other Lee fans with the same idea. The doors open at 6.00, as you all probably know, and at about 5.00 a figure rushed through the gate, head down, curls blowing in the wind .... Lee, obviously in a great hurry and hoping to get in unnoticed. He did, in that no one stopped him. Our theory was that possibly his Dad had been driving him in, then had got caught up in the road closures for the cycle race, so Lee had had to leg it to the nearest Tube (however, this theory was disproved later, when there was no sign of Dad or Mum at the concert).

Then we come to the concert. What can I say? Lee was wonderful as usual. There were no guests this time, just pure, unadulterated Lee! I think the songs were the same as before, but he may have altered a few around, and I think he may have dropped one or two - but I really can't remember. He was as funny as ever, but I don't think there were any new stories.

He looked gorgeous, wearing waistcoat and trousers from the Some Enchanted Evening tour suit, plus white shirt and dark red tie - but no jacket. At one point, he noticed his shoelace had come undone, but decided he couldn't bend down to do it up as his trousers were too tight!

As he was on his own, we didn't expect him to hang around afterwards, so it was a lovely surprise to find him holding court on the steps outside as we made our way out. A few words (and a lot of laughter) were exchanged - a lovely way to end the evening before we jumped onto our bus.

Oh dear - I did have a bit to say after all!

Thanks A/Liz!

Thanks A Liz
I really wish that I could have made it to the July gig.
I'm afraid that I have to wait until September for my next fix.

Thanks A/Liz enjoyable as always when I can't get there.acer x

Thanks A/Liz, exactly as I remember it. It was lovely having just Lee for the evening, don't misunderstand me, it's great when he has guests but seemed really special for once that it was pure Lee plus the boys in the band of course.

Thanks A Liz much appreciated.

Lovely review as usual. I'm happy that you made it with no trouble this time.

Ooooh - lovely review, A/Liz . . . but . . . did you write anything more after the bit about the too tight trousers????

We didn't notice the 'tight' trousers Lynne, we're far too sedate Ladies for that sort of thing

Right, who wants to hear about Sunday? My journey to London, I mean .... well, we caught a train ..... no? How about ... Lee at the Pheasantry? That's better!

Well, we caught a train (you're not getting away without the travelogue!), then a coach, then the Tube, then a bus - yes, our beloved rail replacement system was back. It was a hot day, and half an hour on the Central Line Tube was horrible, but other than that the journey was ok. Got to hotel, checked in, had a snack, got changed and set off for Chelsea.

As we did last month, because it was a lovely day, we decided to eat out in the Pheasantry courtyard. It was packed, due partly to the weather and partly to the Bank Holiday. We managed to find a table, and slowly but surely lots more Lee fans appeared. Meal finished, we headed off to the famous stairs and to our seats in anti****tion.

When Lee came on stage, well, I can't think of a suitable word. He was bubbling, fizzing, buzzing ..... absolutely full of 'something' He soon had the first announcement - there will be a Christmas concert!!! Of course, he couldn't tell us the venue yet (apart from London), but said tickets will be on sale shortly. Then came his other bit of news, that he is to be an uncle, and he intends to spoil the baby rotten!

He often does a few dance steps on stage, but this time - well, those of a nervous disposition needed to cover their eyes!!! Hip wiggling, twerking, you name it he did it - and said it was his audition for Strictly!

As most of you know, there is a bus stop outside the Pheasantry. Lee has often mentioned this, hoping that we stay for the second half of the show, and don't jump on the bus. This led him to another story. He has told this before, but this time it went to another level. In the past, he has said that at his first show there, he forgot there was a second half and stood at the bus stop, intending to go home before he remembered he had a second half to do. This time, though, he said he actually caught the bus, and had reached Sloane Square (3 stops along) before he remembered, leapt off the bus and ran all the way back - all before the interval finished! How much of this is actually true, I'm not sure, but it made a great story and we were in fits of laughter!

I haven't mentioned his songs, as he was wonderful as ever, but there was one difference this time. A surprise guest (in the audience, not singing) was Guy Henry, aka Mr Hanssen from Holby, who had told Lee that his favourite song was "Leave Right Now", so Lee had re-learned it especially for his "boss"! Guy seemed to be a lovely man, happily posing for photos with those who asked. When he passed our table, he said, "I'm a fan!" He was sitting at the back, and it was funny to see him standing on the floor for pics, while fans stood on the steps for the photo, because he is so tall! At the end, Lee went up to Guy and his party and was rewarded with a huge hug.

And that was it. Another Sunday, another Pheasantry. That's all I can remember at the moment, so if anyone wants to add any more, please do so!

We had another late night, and next day another rail replacement journey home, when it was even hotter that before. Will we do it again? Oh yes!!

Thanks A/Liz!

I love the thought of Lee getting on a bus, not realising that he had the second half of a concert to do!

Thanks A/LIZ for another great review ,so Lee is to become an uncle I bet if it is a boy he will spoil it rotten

Oh, gosh - that "bus stop" story is hilarious! And how great for Lee to have his "boss" show up. Thanks so much for posting, A/Liz. We always look forward to your posts after a Lee-gig.

Just three short weeks and I will be in LoveLee London again, just in time for the Pheasantry gig on the 24th! I'm looking forwarding to seeing so many friends - and definitely in need of a Meady fix.

Woohoo!!!!!!

Thanks for another interesting travelogue A Liz. Oh yes - and a great review of Lee's latest gig at the Pheasantry. Lovely news that he's going to be an uncle.
Those dance moves!!! Strictly next year?

And we have another absolutely fabulous review by Jane W on the website - not to be missed!!

Just makes me even more excited . . . if that's possible . . .

Yet another brilliant review from Jane. And that photo you used is wonderful.

Just a teaser to let you know that Sunday at the Pheasantry was quite simply amazing! Lee was definitely "feeling good".

I'm off home today but will have a review (hopefully on Thursday) from Jane - as well as one of my own - and some lovely photos from Amanda from Holland.

Catch up on the other side of all that water - In the meantime, I hope we'll hear from some others who were there. It was such fun to see so many familiar faces.

Yes, as Lin has said, Lee really waa "feeling (and looking ) good" on Sunday! I won't write a full review (when do I ever!) as Lin and Jane are both doing them, but here are a few personal notes.

We were thrilled to be taken to a table directly opposite Lee's mic stand - the first time ever during his current residency! On hearing hearty laughter coming from the table next to us, I turned round to see .... "Morven" (Ellie Fanyinka) and another lady (who it turned out was one of the Holby directors) sitting there, shortly to be joined by "Donna" (Jaye Jacobs). They were lovely and very friendly and enthusiastic!

As 7.00 pm approached, everyone started to get excited - then realised that the band hadn't come on stage yet. Whispers went round that it was a 7.30pm start - we all surreptitiously consulted our bits of paper with the booking reference - yes, 7.00pm as usual. Someone, no idea who, had decreed a 7.30pm start. Not to worry - it all built up the excitement.

Lee? Well, what can I say? I don't think I have ever seen him as happy and on form as he was on Sunday. He looked stunning, in a new suit, which he was at pains to describe to us (we could see it, Lee, it fit ted (in deference to Mr Bravenet's censorship) like a glove!) - then changed in the second half to a casual black shirt - phew!

It wasn't just the Holby crowd who were so enthusiastic, the whooping and cheering seemed to come from all over the Pheasantry, and of course Lee fed off it. He was funny, cheeky, sexy - and at one point slid down the bannister - but I think Lin might want to talk about that .....

One funny moment. A man's phone went off, loudly. Everyone whistled and booed, and the man, quick as a flash, held it up and said, "Lee, it's for you!"

I think the entire Pheasantry sang along with ADWD, and people were getting out their phones and waving the lights in the air - you get the picture! All in all, a wonderful night, probably the best yet!

Thanks for that A/Liz!

Nice to here that there were some more Holby bods there.

Website is updated with reviews by Jane W and myself and some lovely photos from Amanda from Holland - I hope you all enjoy them. It was a truly magical evening.

Great reviews Lin and Jane!

Thank you Liz, Jane and Lin for your brilliant reviews and thanks to Amanda for sharing
your gorgeous photos of Lee. x

Thanks for the lovely memory inducing reviews from JaneW Lin and A Liz.
Sitting here reading everything that you lovely ladies put into words so well has left me with a warm fuzzy feeling with my own memories from last Sunday.

I arrived at the Pheasantry with Lin and the lovely SunnyM.
It was a lovely bright day and when we arrived we were welcomed by so many friends waving happy to see us. ( weird to think that we didn't know each other 10 years ago)
A lot of Meady memories have been stored away in hearts and minds during those years
After a lot of hugs and how are you's I sat down with my much needed coffee.
Then with hope that someone had a spare ticket ( not that I wished ill on anyone) I plucked up the courage to ask the chap with the list if there was a chance of a return? To my utter delight he said yes so Sue could come to the Meady Ball. ( well we had a ball that night)
As others have mentioned the show started rather late. We knew that Lee had arrived because we saw him come in so what had happened? Did he chicken out and catch the bus that stops outside? Phew it was a relief when John and Tommy arrived on stage. But hang on where was Mickey Blue and Lee???
Thankfully they were not far behind. Even though Lee was so happy to see his Holby friends he almost missed the narrow gap to the stage.
I think that this was one of Lee's cheekiest and hottest performances that I have seen.
He was breathtakingly gorgeous and his voice was amazing.
I sat next to Lin and Hmmm there was unquestionably a lot of flirting going on.
I have been trying to think of a "highlight" but with a show that good I'm not sure if I can find just one.
So for me the "Highlights" were "Why God"
I really wish that I had seen Lee in that role.
'Feeling Good' and "Let Her Down Easy" ( That song has been whirling around in my head all week.)
There was no time to chat after the show. A late finish and Sunday night transport was making wonder if we would get home ok but we did and then spent time chatting and reliving our day.
Sorry if this post is a bit long

Thanks Joan!

I feel very very lucky to have such wonderful and thoughtful Meady friends.
I hadn't booked to go to The Pheasantry yesterday.
( by the time I decided that I would like to go all the places had been sold)
So imagine my surprise when a friend who couldn't make it offered me their place.
I perked up and made my way there feeling very very blessed.
After a bite to eat and a lovely catch up with old friends it was time for the show to begin.
I don't know how Lee does it but he just gets better and better each time I see him.
It was a wonderful evening of fun and magical musical entertainment.
Lee absolutely blew me away with his confidence and style. Hmm nice suit
Stephen Rahman-Hughes was Lee's guest and as you know when those two get together it is always a hoot.
Stephen was filming and Lee told us this was for a a kind of Vlog to celebrate to 10years anniversary tour next year.
It is hard to pick out favourite moments. The set/songs pretty much the same.
Lee puts his own twist on every song and makes it his own.
Last night was Michael Riley aka 'Mickey Blue' last gig at the Pheasantry with Lee. He is joining Daniel Boyes in his new venture. ( sorry I can't remember what)
Lee singing Why God..... just takes my breath away.

It was lovely to see you, Joan, and glad that you could join our table for a meal before the show.

Yes, we survived our beloved Rail Replacement bus and tube once more for our monthly trip to the Pheasantry. Other than that, an uneventful journey!

There was another hiccup before the show. We had been put in the upstairs part of the restaurant, as we had a larger table, and came downstairs at ten to six, to find people queuing around the main entrance door area. Apparently everything was running late again, and doors into the Pheasantry would not be opening at 6.00. Last month, for some reason, someone had decided the show was to start at 7.30, not 7.00. Was the same thing about to happen again? Anyway, not long afterwards, a lady from the Pheasantry said we could form a queue on the stairs (deja vu, anyone?), and in fact the doors opened only 10-15 minutes later than they should have.

The place was buzzing, as usual. Lee was on top form, both vocally and fun-wise. I can safely say another first took place, when he and Stephen R-H (his 'surprise' guest ) started mock wrestling on stage - I've completely forgotten what started it. There were no Holby cast members there this time, but Lee did tease us by asking "will they, won't they?" about Lofty and Dom - but obviously didn't give anything away. He also mega-teased us by asking us to imagine him half naked on stage at the Adelphi as he sang Close Every Door.

The set was the same as before, and again my favourite is Why God Why?, but one I have really grown to love is Forever Love, which he sings to his lost love Jodie, who left him for his friend with the car. Talking of cars, that was the subject of an hilarious exchange between Lee and Stephen, culminating in a "mine's bigger than yours" type of discussion.

Lee's Mum and Dad were there again, with friends, and after the show Lee joined them as we all made our way out. All in all, another fantastic evening. I'm reluctant to say roll on the next one, as it's the final concert in this series, and I have to say this is my favourite set of his that he has ever done, and I will miss the songs so much (yes, I know he will probably keep some of them in the 10 year anniversary tour, but it won't be the same). But we won't think of that yet....

Thanks Joan and A/Liz! Sounds like it was a great night!

Thank you so much for your reviews, Joan and A/Liz. Lovely to hear from both of you. I love how cheeky/flirty he is now.

We have another review from Jane W just added to the website. Sounds like it was another truly Meady night.

A rare visit. I thought you might like to see this.
Have a lovely weekend all.

Youtubelink

Please don't post this anywhere else. Thanks.

1 2 3