​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Broadway in Concert, Cardiff and London

Lee was one of several top class guests at this great concert, and some of us were lucky enough to go to both, at the Cardiff Millennium Centre and the London Palladium.

It was wonderful to have the Novello Orchestra on stage conducted by the charismatic David Mahoney. Lee's fellow performers were Kerry Ellis, Ben Forster, Matt Cardle and Sophie Evans. Song choices were sometimes surprising - who, for example, expected Kerry to sing 'Anthem', and Matt to perform 'Bring Him Home'?! However, I'm just going to concentrate on Lee here, so if anyone else wants to fill in the rest, please do so!

Lee first song was a passionate 'Being Alive' from Company, which he hasn't performed for several years. This was followed by a fabulous Hushabye Mountain. The biggest, most jaw-dropping, sliding-down-the-seat moment, though, was when he and Sophie came on stage from opposite sides, and the orchestra struck up the music of 'Last Night of the World' from Miss Saigon. Lee's intensity was stunning (we think Sophie may have been a little bit stunned too! ), as they moved closer together, then moved in close to dance with her before ending the song.

His last song was, of course, ADWD, but it was preceded with the full intro that he had in the show as be floated down in those wonderful white robes, and ended with the big finish of "Bring Me My Coloured Coat". Just amazing.

Re: Broadway in Concert, Cardiff and London

Kerry Ellis posted this pic of the line-up on Instagram (hope link works!)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BM8wQ1cAC3s/

Thanks Liz for posting your review, very much appreciated.

Sounds like both the concerts were a big success going by tweets that I have
seen.

I remember hearing Lee sing "Last night of the World" on a video of his
Japanese concert, I can't remember how I managed to hear it but Lee sounded
amazing and I have always hoped I would get to hear Lee sing it again. Perhaps
he will get to star in Miss Saigon in the ***ure.

maggiemay

Thanks for the review ALiz

The reaction on Twitter was very positive too - everyone seems to agree that it was a fabulous concert on both nights!

Sounds like a fab two nights! 'Last Night Of The World' must have been pretty special!

Thanks for that great review, ALiz - how amazing it must have been!

A Liz Thank you so much for this review. I was gutted that I couldn't make to this. It seemed so near and yet so far for me and the timing of it couldn't have been worse. & your review is just the tonic I needed right now.
From what I have read about Broadway in Concert it seems that all the performers really gelled well together.
I heard Matt sing Bring him Home at West End Live earlier this year and thought he did a good job with it. #IMO
I hope that they do this show again sometime it sounds wonderful. Especially "Last night of the world"