​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kids 'n Cancer UK Concert(s)

Great to see from recent tweets that Lee is now Patron of Kids 'n Cancer UK and is taking part in a concert for the charity at the Pomegranate Theatre in Chesterfield on Saturday 11 February - ticket details here:

http://www.chesterfieldtheatres.co.uk/shows/charity-variety-performance.aspx#.WHUy18OLTnA

From the blurb, it sounds as though Lee plans to do a 'mini tour' of the UK this year with concerts for Kids 'n Cancer! I'm looking forward to hearing more about this

Re: Kids 'n Cancer UK Concert(s)

Missed out on seeing the Pomegranate when Lee's Some Enchanted Evening tour went there. Now might be the time to pay a visit!

Interesting that he's doing a mini tour. I wonder if the support will be the same every time, or specific to each venue. Watch this (or that!) space!

This is great news. Chesterfield is so easy to get to as well! I should be able to decide tomorrow whether to book before or after my trip to London this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

Alas I spoke too soon! A nasty financial 'slap' earlier this month meant that I've had to cancel. It might be too late for anybody else to have the ticket now but I'll find out the seat and reference number after I come back from my excercise class so that somebody could upgrade to row D if they'd like. Too happy about Lofty to be as miserable as I might have been!

So sorry to see that Lee has had to pull out of this concert because of illness.
Get Well Soon, Lee!

We had just checked into our hotel in Chesterfield when the sorry news came through about Lee being too ill to appear.

Naturally we were disappointed, but in true showbiz fashion "the show must go on." We decided to go (it would have seemed churlish not to) and on the whole had a really entertaining evening. There was a real buzz of excitement in the packed foyer before the show (I'm not sure whether they knew Lee had cancelled or not - certainly there was no great moan of disappointment when the compere made the announcement).

There was a surprise guest - Bernie Clifton (only readers of a certain age will remember him!) - but otherwise the show comprised of mainly amateur local talent, and talented they were! Singers, dancers, martial arts, comedy, magic - everything was represented. The main man from the charity made a speech, saying how upset Lee was at having had to cancel, but he hoped to be back there later in the year for those fans who had come to see him and been disappointed. It was a lovely evening - it just seemed a shame, for all those doing their bit on stage on what was a special night for them, that most of the front row was empty. However, I'm sure the standing ovation and cheers at the end made up for this.

Thanks A/Liz, you've summed up the event nicely. I got the impression that most of the audience were made up of family members of lots of the children and acts on stage and had come to support them. We know Lee would have offered them encouragement. One little girl (6 years old) stood out for me, there was an Irish dance section (2 girls about 13 years old and the little 6 year old). She danced away on stage on her own brilliantly, never once coming out of character, she was a little sweetheart. At the finale, they said they were doing a tribute to Lee, and they sang Any Dream Will Do (not exactly Lee style!), but they did their best and you could see how proud they all were to be up there on stage.
Just a word of warning about the height of the stage to anyone going to the lovely Pomegranite in ***ure, it's very high and goes back a long way - you need to be as tall as the famous Louise (remember the one Lee had his first snog with in the bushes who grows in height each time he tells the story ) to be able to see some of what is going on from the front.

Thanks A/Liz and Annie for your reviews. As you know I couldn't make this one, work had to come first, glad you enjo*** it, amateurs do work extremely hard to put on a good show don't they.

What a shame Lee was too poorly to attend, he must have been very upset. Hope you are beginning to feel better Lee.

Thanks for your reviews A Liz & Annie. Good to know you enjo*** the concert. (I have to admit I do remember Bernie Clifton) Nice that the cast sang ADWD at the end. Maybe Lee was intended to sing it with them.
Annie, your description of the height of the stage gave me a laugh.

A Liz & Annie Thank you both for your reviews
It sounds as if it was a lovely event to be at and yes I also remember Bernie Clifton.

Thanks A/Liz and Annie for reviews lovely.I too remember Bernie Clifton.
acer