​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sennybridge

Whilst I cannot compete with the brilliant reviews and reports of Jane W, Ro and A/Liz, here goes on a few musings from the Rhydian concert for the Sennybridge Show. Bear in mind here, that I am biased!!!
As it only takes just over an hour to get to Sennybridge from where we live, we set off at 2.30 - plenty of time. Our plans to have a picnic by the river en route were scuppered by the rain, and robbed us of the spectacular scenery which we know is there. We arrived in Sennybridge and parked up in the village car park to await the official concert opening time. Some friendly locals who were also going, advised us that it would probably be best to stay where we were as the car park in the field would be sticky after the rain (an understatement). So we ate our picnic in the car, watching the sheep on the opposite hillside - the clouds had now lifted and it had stopped raining - hooray. We donned extra layers, waterproofs, boots and set off.
A long queue awaited us when we arrived at the concert 'tent', so our seats were a good way back. A scattering of familiar faces greeted us. 7.25pm, and a lady with a mike (Rhydian's mum)said that the start of the concert was dela*** as there had been an accident nearby, and they wanted to give people time to get to the concert. She also said that Chris Needs, one of the support acts, was also unable to attend due to illness. 8pm and the concert started with the 3 girls singers, Sorella. Beautifuly voices, very talented and amusing. They introduced 'local lad' Rhydian, resplendent in dazzling silver jacket (later to change into a gold one, then red, then, black and then royal blue). He sang songs from his new album and other favourites with a very loud backing track, which personally I hated, it was too loud for me, and you couldn't really hear his own voice, at least not from where I was sitting, such a pity. He duetted Anthem with Lee, which was pretty awesome, but again with a backing track which didn't showcase their voices IMHO.

On to Lee. Rhydian praised him as a performer and a friend and explained that Lee was starting a cold, but nevertheless, his voice was still incredible (love the huskiness). No backing tracks for our man, just piano and guitar. Dressed in the blue suit and red tie, that voice soaring, pure and powerful, filling the tent and probably echoing around the valley - a master class in 'less is more'. He sang, Feeling Good, Dancing through Life, Close Every Door, All of Me, Fix You, all of which greeted huge cheers, but Bring him Home got a standing ovation. He did get a huge amount of cheers considering there were only a handful of core fans there. He was very relaxed, joked about having a 'lamb roll' in the interval and apparently was looking forward to a'hot tub' and a slice of Victoria sponge after the gig He thanked Rhydian for inviting him to sing and for his friendship.

It was a very different experience for us - mud, music and posh portaloos. We disappeared before the last few songs and curtain call, as it became obvious that it was turning into a long night, and we need our beauty sleep

Re: Sennybridge

Thanks for that, Ruthie!

Thanks so much for your report, Ruthie. It sounded like an amazing evening. Hope Lee's cold doesn't develop too badly.

Interesting that Rhydian sang with a backing track. Don't think Lee has ever done that (someone correct me if I'm wrong) - he just doesn't need it, and his voice is just perfection the way it is!

Ha ha! The Victorian sponge cake I can understand him going for (he loves his cake, doesn't he!) but OMG - Lee in a hot tub!!!

Don't mention the Portaloos. They had them at Glamis. As a non-driver, I remember looking at something in said Portaloo that resembled a gear stick, and wondering what on earth do I do with that?

As you know, we go everywhere by public transport. We tried every possible permutation to get to Sennybridge, but on this occasion would have been "marooned" a good ten miles short and would have needed a local taxi, if indeed one existed. Added to that, we would probably have had to spend two nights away, so it wasn't worth the risk - although it would have been an adventure! I still recall one of Lee's concerts somewhere in Wales - the gig had been on a Saturday - and, next day, asking mine host at the hotel if he could phone for a taxi to take us to the station. "Ooh, no, love, you won't get a taxi today - it's Sunday!" I think he had to call in a favour or two to finally find one for us.

Aww, thanks Ruthie for your review. I kept thinking about you all during the evening, hoping you'd remembered your wellies (and Lee of course ). Don't put yourself down, it's a very good review . Sounds like it all went off well and Lee got a good reception, even though Rhydian was the local lad. Hope Lee's cold doesn't develop too badly - maybe the 'hot tub' helped .

Thanks Ruthie for a lovely review, it sounds as though it was a lovely evening.
Shame about the weather but seeing and hearing Lee must have warmed you up.

Thanks for these lovely reviews. Hope Lee enjo*** his hot tub and his Victoria Sponge.

Lovely review, Ruthie - thank you so much for posting it!

But, I confess you now have me worried . . . . Lee catching a cold????

I missed seeing him in February when he had to cancel and now I am trying again in a couple of weeks . . .

Lin, I am sure he will be fine, don't worry. See you there.