​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jack Climbs the Beanstalk Again!

And apparently, looks gorgeous doing it! At least, that's according to Jane W's review - the NO SPOILER version now on the website.

Note: The first and only panto I ever saw was Lee's very first in Southampton. It was quite the experience as Lovely England was in the throes of a crazy snowy winter and cold as . . . well, you get the picture. But Lee warmed up the place quite nicely so it felt like January in So Cal . . . almost. lol

Anyway, it did not convert me to being a panto-fan (I'm not) but let's face it. I was there for the Mead. :innocent:

Enjoy Jane's review - And we'd love to hear some more!

Re: Jack Climbs the Beanstalk Again!

Great review! Thanks Jane!:relaxed:

These reviews make my day.

YESSSS! The Forum is working properly again! Love the new banner too.

I may have been to the panto a couple of times .......

:innocent:

I can't beat Jane's review. The only thing to add would be spoilers - although, to be fair, I think everyone knows the story of Jack and the Beanstalk! Lee looks absolutely gorgeous (I have to confess here, I have been wearing specs for reading for years, but for nothing else. Finally, I have a pair for looking further afield, so wore them here for the first time, and saw Lee with fresh eyes - he is no longer fuzzy around the edges, whoo hoo!).

There are so many 'mistakes' in the show - which you only realise are deliberate when you see it a second time. However, during the second show the when the beanstalk fell down accidentally, just as Jack was about to climb it, and no one on stage knew what to do, it was hilarious!

There are lots of local jokes and place names thrown in for good measure - Jane, if you read this, the Shrimpers is the nickname for Southend United.

We went again yesterday, battling through wind and snow (what a sight we must have been heading into the wind along the cliff top - bracing was a polite way of putting it), and it has come on in leaps and bounds from the cautious opening afternoon. Bobby's ad libs are increasing daily, and the 12 Days of Christmas routine is now positively manic!

Lee apart, I have to say my favourite is Stacey. She has a great voice, and there is something really endearing about her.

A word of warning to anyone coming who hasn't already been - be prepared for babies, lots of babies - in the audience, that is. I have never seen so many tiny tots in all my life, we are talking babes in arms a few weeks old here, plus toddlers in nappies - there seems to be no age restriction in Southend!

A/Liz - your comment about babies reminds me of another Meadaholic (who shall remain nameless) who said she had forgotten that a matinee would have so many children there! :laughing:
Thanks so much for your mini-review. I have seen some photos taken in Southend and, although the sea looks lovely, it also looks very cold! Brrrrr . . . #SpoiledSoCalGal

I just want to thank Jane for her fabulous review on the home screen. This one's stuffed with treats and spoilers and was almost as good as being there. I'm convincing myself that the loud bang (read the review to find out why) every night would have shaken me up too much!

Yes, it's a great review. Thanks Jane!:smiley:

Thanks JaneW for another spell binding review.
I did manage to go to the first and last performances of Jack and the Beanstalk and maybe a couple in-between.
Well you know how it is when you just can't think of what to get your husband for Christmas.:innocent:
I figured out a pair of panto tickets would be perfect for new years eve.
I agree with A Liz. The Cliffs Pavilion seems to be a very child friendly venue.
I did sneek off to a matinee just befor Christmas and found myself sitting next to a group of girls with Downs Syndrome. After chatting with them it turned out that they go to MTC. So we had lots to chat about. But mostly we chatted about Lee. Every time Lee came on stage they screamed and shouted his name and waved their sparkly wands in the air.
During the interval I took out my phone to taxt home and the girl next to me saw my screen was a pic of Lee. Well this was extremely exciting and she insisted that I show her all the Lee pics on my phone. The interval passed by very fast.
After that perforfance Lee tweeted that days matinee was like a "One Direction" concert. Whoops :smile: