​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pizza Express Live, 18th & 19th August

Well, what did we think?

I was lucky enough to go to both these concerts. Lee, of course, was wonderful, marvellous, and so on, all the superlatives you can think of, but I'm concentrating more on my thoughts of the venue.

First impressions - stairs, with chequered tiling on the steps! Looks familiar - must be a Pizza Express thing. Downstairs, queue up, give name to man on the door - yes, still like the Pheasantry. Inside - well, obviously bigger, but so dark, with black ceiling and exposed pipes etc! If anything, the front row seemed even closer than the Pheasantry arrangement - but more of them. Otherwise, tables seemed to be crammed together like sardines, and those of us with less than sylphlike proportions had great difficulty even getting into our seats. On the first night, we were lucky enough to have a great view, one row back from the front, but on the second night, on our table for four, I could hardly see, and had to keep dodging between heads just to see Lee, due to where we were sat. Luckily for two of us, a couple of seats further forward became vacant after the interval, so we were able to move into those.

To me, the sound on the first night wasn't right, but much improved by Sunday. There didn't seem to be a lot of atmosphere either. When we walked in on Sunday night, ten minutes before the show was due to start, it was so quiet, not buzzing with anti****tion like we thought it should be.

We didn't eat there (and heard a few reports of poor service by others who did), but had drinks - the final irony being when we received our bill we were charged with someone else's food as well (this was rectified, I hasten to add!).

Honest opinion, I did not like the place at all - please, Lee, please, please, please, go back to the Pheasantry!

PS Changing the subject slightly, Catherine Russell (aka Serena from Holby) was there on Saturday night, with her daughter.

Re: Pizza Express Live, 18th & 19th August

So agree with A/Liz, I don't like the venue either, low black ceiling, poor lighting, noisy air com, could go on. The pictures on their web site of the venue are very misleading, it's not like that at all. As for the seating, when we were shown to our table on Sunday I couldn't see how we were supposed to sit at it as there was no space to even pull your chair out and once we did manage it you couldn't move, that was it wedged in (and I'm small). I know we're not the only ones complaining about the seating as I saw on Twitter yesterday someone who blogs Musical Theatre Reviews said her and her Husband couldn't see as they were stuck behind a pillar, as were the couple next to them. They were all going to write and complain to whoever is in charge at the Venue. I did wonder, as tickets were selling well, if the Venue thought they'd make a bit more money by pushing in a few more tables and chairs, no matter what. I know there are a few 'duff' seats at The Pheasantry but you can usually move your seat a bit to get a better view. I do hope Lee goes back there for ***ure gigs, I think it's much nicer and the staff (who know us now - can't think why:grinning: ) are lovely.

Enough moaning :wink:, Lee was great as always at both shows and we enjo*** them. He said he was nervous on the Saturday being a new venue and having 'his boss' as he called her (Catherine/Serena in). It didn't help that he didn't have his usual band in, apart from John Pearce his violinist, and although the substitutes were accomplished musicians, they are not used to playing for Lee. On the Sunday, Adam Dennis, his usual MD and pianist was back and it made such a difference.

Lee did say originally when he told us he had been asked to perform at Holborn (as it was a bigger venue) that he would give it a try, hopefully he'll decide he prefers The Pheasantry - I'm sure he won't miss the dressing room at Holborn as he laughingly told us it was the size of a toilet.:grinning:

Thanks Ladies.

It does sound like they shoved in some extra tables/seats.

They certainly weren't "Empty Chairs and Empty Tables" … :joy:

The venue was easier for me to reach than the Pheasantry but I have to admit the Pheasantry is a nicer venue. If this doesn't sound soppy and girly the Pheasantry is in a much prettier area.

I have to agree with everything that A/Liz and AnnieB have said. The lovely ladies who I was with had deliberately told me nothing about the venue wanting me to form my own opinion.. It was not at all what I had expected having been to The Pheasantry a few times. It was dark, low ceiling, claustrophobic and as for trying to sit down at the table we had been allocated it appeared to be impossible until people around us tried to move a few centimetres to give a bit of extra space! As A/Liz has said, the usual happy, excited atmosphere was missing. The stage area was tiny with no space for a drum kit, however, in that respect, I may have been spoiled by attending the concerts. It made an enormous difference being lucky enough to move to a different seat after the interval.

I was at the Sunday evening show, Lee was brilliant as always and seemed happy and relaxed especially when joined by Stephen. I enjo*** it, who wouldn't?! and will be there for Together Again in October. Obviously it is down to Lee but in ***ure, for this type of performance, I would much prefer to make my way over to the King's Road.

I also have to agree with everything said about Pizza Express Live. We too were squashed into a tiny space, people had to weave their way around tables to get anywhere else in the venue, no good if you were in a hurry to get to the loo!! We missed the lovely, outside seating area of the Pheasantry as well, such a nice quiet space to greet friends and have a chat and drink before the concert, the approach and entrance to the Holburn one seemed cold and lacked atmosphere and character. The only positive things was that my pizza was just a notch better than the Pheasantry, and Pizza Express Live was only a 15/20 minute walk from our hotel, minor pluses in the scheme of things. Yes, please don't abandon the Pheasantry Lee.