Return to Website

The CBS Children's Film Festival

Share your thoughts, info and questions on CCFF films.

For a complete list and description of every film shown,
with info on those available for purchase or download,
click on the CCFF logo at left.

But be sure and search the Forum before you post -
your answer may already be here!

The CBS Children's Film Festival
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Toby Schmoby

I remember one where a boy, Toby, was being taunted by "Toby Schmoby" repeatedly. That's all I can remember

Re: Toby Schmoby

That movie was "Toby" and it was filmed in part at my elementary school in Ridgefield, Conn. My brother was an extra and appeared in 2 scenes. It was broadcast in April of 1970. There is a review of it in "Variety" from that month. I would like to have a copy of it but have had no luck.

OMG!!!! Finally after 30+ years..some info about this movie! I have often tried to figure out what movie it was. We had a little room under the stairs in our house as kids that we called the "Toby Smobly" room, even our parents called it that. All I remember from that movie is the same thing..kids teasing him, but I thought it was "toby Smobly" over and over. I even posted the question about this movie here long ago, but nothing, until now FINALLY!!!

The fact that you said that "Toby" was shown on the CCFF had me scratching my head, since I did a pretty thorough search for titles and never ran across it. The fact that it was set in the US also threw me, since it was rare early on for the series to show films from this country. It then occurred to me that you might have seen it on the "CBS Children's Hour". CBS broadcasted three children's specials in 1969-1970, the most well known being "J.T.". It turns out that another one of those specials was called "Toby", based on a book by Art Wallace. The book follows a bright boy named Toby who tried to win friends in his new neighborhood by showing how smart he was, but he always managed to do something to sabotage his efforts.

"Toby" doesn't appear to be available commercially on either VHS or DVD. There is a good chance it might be available, like "J.T." as an educational video for grade school students. Copies of "J.T." can be obtained from Carousel Films (1-800-683-1660), so you might want to call them to see if they offer this title as well. Warning: videos from sources that cater to educational institutions are usually very expensive. If the fact the video exists can be verified, I would suggest checking with your local library or university first to see if they either have it or can borrow it for you.

BTW, the original book is out of print, but it's been recently reprinted under the title "Toby and the Phantoms of the Fourth Grade". You can probably get a nice used copy of either from abebooks.com

Phil

You da man!

Thank you ALL for mentioning this Children Film Festival movie. I, too, have been "haunted" in wanting to see or research that movie and the actors. I was 10 years old when that children's movie was shown. I was so fascinated, then, about it and craved to see how the movie would end or how the boy overcame that constant teasing. As an african-american person, I would like to see this movie, too. We all can remember the movie, J.T. But, 'Toby' was up there, too. Especially, during these times when bullying and teasing are now being taken to a tragic degree.

The way he "got back" at the kids that were taunting him was to dare some of them to spend the night in a supposedly haunted house, which he had previously rigged with tape recording & traps. The bullies all got the $#!& scared out of them and he "earned" their respect. Saw it once when I was about 10 or so, and that's the way I remember it turned out...

Rodrigo Plá se convirtió en la gran sorpresa del XXIII Festival Internacional de Cine en Guadalajara, al conquistar el premio como mejor Largometraje Mexicano de Ficción por la cinta Desierto adentro
PEDERASTA ACAPULCO
NARCO
JORNADA GUERRERO
Guadalajara International Cinema Fest
Press

Cenit # 1158 COL. Jardines del Bosque
44510 Guadalajara (MEXICO)
Tel: (52 33) 31217461, 31216860
prensa@festivalcinegdl.udg.mx

Miren Gea Aranoa
Press Coordinator Guadalajara International Cinema Fest
Press SPRINGBREAKERS 2008 HOTEL LA PALAPA NARCOS

Cenit # 1158 COL. Jardines del Bosque
44510 Guadalajara (MEXICO)
Tel: (52 33) 31217461, 31216860
prensa@festivalcinegdl.udg.mx

Miren Gea Aranoa
Press Coordinator

Just a note: If you happen to be in New York City or Los Angeles, you can watch all of the "CBS Children's Hour" specials, including "Toby", at the Paley Center for Media (formerly the Museum of Television and Radio). Unfortunately, none of the CCFF films were available.

http://www.mtr.org/

I remember this tv film, it must have been broadcast in late '69/early '70. In the TV guide the tag line read: "Toby was the smartest kid in town...and the loneliest."

For a 10-year-old, Toby was a math-whiz; I remember the scene where he multiplied 2-digit quantities in his head (like 43 x 78 = 3354) and he got them right - every time.

In playground scenes, he demonstrated how he couldn't swing at a softball without spinning around and landing on his can - every time.

From the day he arrived, Tobe found the quickest route to being the most unpopular kid in class: a genius with highest marks and lowest self-esteem, ohhhhhh boy.

But there's a happy ending, it shows him and the big bully together, throwing rocks at the haunted house and laughing themselves silly.

I'd like to see this film again.

While this film is not available, you can watch J. T. at the University of Georgia Peabody Collection at http://www5.galib.uga.edu/media/collections/peabody/index.html. I was able to find the miniseries "Studs Lonigan" there also. Not really on topic but maybe helpful.

Yes it was on the CBS Childrens Hour 18 Apr 1970. 19 years since my original post- I still come back to it once in a while. Some organization in NYC had the film in their catalog- I thought it was the Paley Center but I seem to be wrong about that.