Return to Website

The CBS Children's Film Festival

Share your thoughts, info and questions on CCFF films.

For a complete list and description of every film shown,
with info on those available for purchase or download,
click on the CCFF logo at left.

But be sure and search the Forum before you post -
your answer may already be here!

The CBS Children's Film Festival
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Johnstown Monster

I'm looking for one of the movies from the Kukla, Fran, and Ollie Show titled, THE JOHNSTOWN MONSTER. I know it's from 1971 and I know it's not released on Video, but since it's an English movie, does anyone in the UK have this on video which they've taped? I remember the movie after 33 years, and I can still sing the theme song. I don't know why I remember this so well...I think because I was fascinated with the Loch Ness Monster years later, that this movie caught my fancy. If anyone has this taped, will you email me?

Thank you!

Re: Johnstown Monster

Is this the movie of a boy who wrestles an eel?

Daniel,
I'm wondering if you ever managed to obtain a copy of this film. I remember it well, too. It was always one of my favorites!
Elizabeth

HI Elizabeth....

No, I never found the movie ...yet. I wonder if I ever will. IT's probably so obscure and wouldn't be a movie released on video or DVD, but maybe someone taped it at some point from TV? I would want a copy!
Not only do I remember the theme song...I remember the movie's plot SO well, I must have been captivated by it.

A 16mm copy is up for auction on ebay, ending on 4-26-06:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9127810477

If someone got it, others could chip in to have it transferred to VHS or DVD so it would finally be available to the many who have asked for it.

If you do, let me know and I'll add the info to the main CCFF page.

Mark

Webmaster

HI Mark (Webmaster),

How NICE and thoughtful of you to write that this was on Ebay! I'll bid on it and I know someone who can transfer it for me to video too and others can share in the cost and get a copy too.
It will be interesting to see how much I remember since I was 9 or 10 when it was on TV and that's 33 years ago!!
THanks for letting me know it was coming up for a bid.
Daniel

To all those looking for a copy of the johnstown monster, the film is being sold on a 16mm print on ebay right now. Someone from this site is supposedly bidding on it. If you win it can those of us looking for the film please buy copies from you???
Please let us johnstown monster fans know.
Thanks,
Victor

Okay, I won the bid on the "Johnstown Monster". I wasn't sure who was winning (guess I should have asked), so I wanted to make sure this time the CCFF people could get a copy. I still regret not going after "Tikko and the Shark" when it was on Ebay a few years back.

I'm still waiting for the invoice, and obviously it's going to take some time for it to actually reach me. I just wanted people to know it's "in the family", so to speak. :)

That's great, Phil ... although I think people here were bidding against each other, at least we got it!

Email me directly so we can discuss the details on how you will make it available and I'll add a link to you on the main CCFF page of this site.

You may also want to contact other posters on this board if you need help to defray costs.

Mark
Webmaster

Congratulations Phil!!!!!!!
I am so glad that a fan won the item. Please keep us all informed as to when copies will be available. I'll be first in line to buy it.
Thanks very, very much
Victor

Hi Phil,

Any word on the transfer?

Mark

I just received the reels on the 12th (Monday). Yes, I'm a little irritated it took so long, but in the interim I've been able to put some funds aside for the transfer. I've done quite a bit of shopping around and decided to go with the following lab:

http://www.bonofilms.com

They're local to me, their transfer rate is competive, and their reputation around town is very good. It should cost between $270-$300 for a transfer to minDV. From past experience, the quality should be very close to the original. I have the equipment to make a DVD from miniDV, so I can take care of it from that end.

Until I had the miniDV in my hands, I didn't want to get involved in taking orders or anything of that nature. I get paid next week, so my plan was to send the reels to the company either Tuesday or Wednesday (20th or 21st).

CAn't wait till you transfer it...let me know!
Daniel
dwachte915@aol.com

Thanks for the update Phil.
Please let me know when production rolls!

please let me know also when you get it transford to dvd thanks ferbert716@hotmail.com

Okay, it's finally done. The audio/visual company that handled the conversion from 16mm to miniDV took its time, so I just got the tape last week.

As you would expect from a 30+ year old reel of film, there was evidence of scratches and other wear and tear. Despite that, the image quality was better than I expected; if you want to see a short sample, go here and click on the screen on the page:

http://www.putfile.com/ccff

The film is only about 44 minutes (not the 54 listed on the internet). So despite the fact I used a high bit rate when compiling the video, there was still room on the DVD. So for the people here, I thought it would be great to add a short film featured on the CCFF. If you decide to buy the DVD, you can choose to have one of the following added as a bonus:

The Red Balloon
Clown
The Merry-Go-Round Horse
(aka The Little Wooden Horse)

I figured $23.00 US would be a fair price. This would include postage (in the US), secure packing, and a case to protect the DVD. I figure in a few years I'll break even on the conversion cost. ;) I'm using TDK brand DVD-R discs as the recording medium, as I've had the best results with that product.

I have a Paypal account, so if you choose to go that route, I can send out a DVD ASAP. I can also take money orders, but not, unfortunately, personal checks. From past experience, they're just too much of a hassle and a risk to deal with. If you're interested, just send me an emal, and I'll provide further details as to my Paypal email, mailing address, etc.

By the way, I also managed to get a copy of "Mr. Horatio Knibbles", if anyone is interested in that.

Phil

Thanks, Phil! I've added a link to your email adress on the main CCFF page for TJM and MHK.

Thanks to Phil we can all now enjoy a truly great childrens' film. The Film still holds up and the transfer is beautiful.

He Folks...Guess what...I was the one who originally started this thread about the Johnstown Monster and I still don't have a copy of it! I know that Phil was able to get the film on Ebay and he transferred it to DVD. Can someone who knows Phil or bought it from him, let me know how to reach Phil so I can get a copy of it? Or if you have a copy of the DVD can you make me a copy? There's 2 of us who want it...thanks!
DAniel W.

Did you email Phil using the address in his post above?

>Can someone who knows Phil or bought it from him, let me know how to reach Phil so I can get a copy of it? Or if you have a copy of the DVD can you make me a copy? There's 2 of us who want it...thanks!
DAniel W.

I received your email and answered it. The ball's now in your court. :)

Re: Johnstown Monster- Mr. Knibbles

Do you still have Mr.Knibbles on 16mm ? Have you ever made A transfer of it to Video ? Also would you be willing to sell it? Let me know, Thanks, Luke

Hello Phil,

I am doing research for a forthcoming book on collecting Irish Movies and I'm very anxious to obtain a copy of "The Johnstown Monster" if at all possible. Please can you let me know if it is still available?

Best wishes.

David

Sure. I'll email you when I return home.

P.

Hello Phil... I too would love to obtain a copy of the Johnstown Monster. Please let me know if this is still possible. I have been searching for a long time and finally came across this thread. This is just one of those little childhood memories i would really enjoy sharing now that i have children of my own.

Thanks

john

Check your email. :)

Hi Phil

Are you still able to send copies of the johnstown monster? Would love one if you could - me and my sisters have been looking for this for years!

Thanks

Is the dvd still available?

Yes. :)

Yes. You can contact me at cbscffREMOVETHISPART@gmail.com

Hi, I have been looking for the Johnstown Monster DvD for several years. I was wondering if I could get a copy of the dvd from you.
Looking forward to hearing from you,

Bridget Gander

Hi Bridget,

Yes, I can send you a copy of the DVD. Just send me an e-mail at the address referenced above (minus the REMOVETHISPART) and we can set up the arrangements.

iv sent you a email buddy

sniperwolf_432003@hotmail.com

ok it wnt let me email you it keeps saying that it failed for whatever reason

if you could please email me

sniperwolf_432003@hotmail.com

Amazing! Me too! I can still sing the song and was mystified by the show as a kid. I am also looking for it and found you. I am 47.