Return to Website

The CBS Children's Film Festival

Share your thoughts, info and questions on CCFF films.

For a complete list and description of every film shown,
with info on those available for purchase or download,
click on the CCFF logo at left.

But be sure and search the Forum before you post -
your answer may already be here!

The CBS Children's Film Festival
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Looking for a CFN film about a little boy who lives with an old woman

I think I found it. If this is the right film, it was called "A Christmas Memory" staring Geraldine Page. It was broadcast on television in 1966 on a program called "ABC Stage 67". It turns out that the film is autobiographical and was written by Truman Capote. Look at the user comments here, it appears to be a match:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0179551/usercomments

It seems that you can buy it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BWZ4QC/102-1042541-1539359?ie=UTF8&tag=edgevideo-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=1789&creativeASIN=B000BWZ4QC

Re: Re: Looking for a CFN film about a little boy who lives with an old woman

I think you're right. It mentions kites and fruitcakes. I hope the other person on the board who looked for this info gets it as well.

Thank you very much.

Merry Christmas

Jeffrey Bledsoe

Thank you both for your excellent investigative work! I just ordered a copy of, "A Christmas Memory". I am hoping this is the title. But somehow, I thought it was set in England or Wales. I've got my fingers crossed! If I can convert it to DVD I will let you all know. Of course only as an archive for the original!

I'm 99.99 % sure it's the film I saw. If you notice on the link to imdb.com viewer comments, one person mentions Sook making fruitcakes and sending fruitcakes to the President. Like I said before, I had searched imdb.com film plots for 'kite' and 'fruitcake'. I got a lot of hits but couldn't find the film of interest. I think if you register with imdb, you get better search results.

I'm thinking of ordering the film but it's too late for me to get the version I want by Christmas. There appear to be two versions on Amazon. One got bad reviews because it was grainy and was over $20. I think they're both b&w. We had a b&w television circa 1967 so that's the way I remember the film.

I just checked the book out of the local library. That will do for now. I think the book has three stories so the film only covers one out of three from the book.

Jeff

>...I had searched imdb.com film plots for 'kite' and 'fruitcake'. I got a lot of hits but couldn't find the film of interest. I think if you register with imdb, you get better search results.

I didn't use the IMDB to find this one, just plain old Google. I plugged in a bunch of keywords based on the descriptions provided by the two of you, but I consistently came up with nothing. Then I thought, perhaps it was an aunt instead of a grandmother. Once I made the switch, the film came up immediately. Sometimes one word makes all the difference.

In any case, this movie sounds very interesting. I think I'll check it out for myself one of these days. :)

Got the film. "A Christmas Memory". You are dead on that that Geraldine Page is the film. What a great actress. If you ever get a chance to see her in the Night Gallery story, "My Husband is Killing Me", do so. She got an Emmy nomination for that one.

However, I still believe the version I saw was in color and set in England or Wales. And Truman Capote was not the narrator. Therefore the one I am remembering is evidently a re-make.

Still, the film made my Christmas. It came in on Christmas Eve and I saved it for Christmas Day night. What a wonderful story.

Cheers to you all!