Return to Website

The CBS Children's Film Festival

Share your thoughts, info and questions on CCFF films.

For a complete list and description of every film shown,
with info on those available for purchase or download,
click on the CCFF logo at left.

But be sure and search the Forum before you post -
your answer may already be here!

The CBS Children's Film Festival
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brit(?) film about kids staging a war in a vacant lot??

Hi. I thought that this would have been on CBS CFF, but maybe I'm wrong. I remember that there is a vacant lot and two fighting groups of kids. I think they may have dug trenches on either side. Maybe one boy gets hurt very badly? I remember it in b&w, but could be wrong. I wonder if anyone knows this film.

Related, what a great program this was. It assumed that kids were smart and open enough to enjoy films from other countries. Doubt if it would ever appear on tv today.

Re: Brit(?) film about kids staging a war in a vacant lot??

Hey Tim,
My name is Paul. I am 47. Are we thinking of the same film?
I remember children hanging out in a vacant junkyard on a double decker bus.This has rattled my brain for years.

Hi Paul. I don't remember the double decker, but that obviously wouldn't be out of place in a British film.
Tim

Tim:

I *think* the film you may be remembering is "Reach for Glory". See the Wikipedia entry here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reach_for_Glory

If this is the one, it wasn't broadcast on the Festival. It does share a director with one CCFF entry, "Hand in Hand".

Paul:

I'll answer your question in your other post.

Phil, I think you are exactly right. Thanks so much for that. I'll try to track it down.
Best,
Tim

THe other reference is to the "Double Decker Kids" a series which aired in the 70's ... Peter Firth starred and a girl named Gillian.

Can't remember much else.

You may be thinking of a Hungarian movie called "The Boys of Paul Street". It was an allegorical thing from the 60's about kids fighting in a vacant lot as 'armies'.