​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Dublin RTE Concert

Lee just tweeted this:

Thank you Dublin. Thank you @rte_co - This night will live with me forever.
less than 20 seconds ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

Sounds like it went pretty well!

Re: Dublin RTE Concert

Aww, bless!

Apparently, he sang 'Bring Him Home' at the concert!

Some funny and interesting tweets:

Laurensariah: @leemeadofficial was AMAZING tonight. Worst Dublin accent I ever heard, but the Ramin impression was surprisingly good! :) Great night X

Laurensariah: Lee Mead, RTE Concert Orchestra AND a special appearance by @niallsheehy?! :) Now that's a good night! about 1 hour ago via web

Did Niall join him on stage for a song or sing backup vocals perhaps?

Niall hasn't tweeted yet.

Lee just tweeted again:
Can't believe I'm up in 4hrs for a flight home. - Night all.

ETA-- Niall has just tweeted too:

Just back from @leemeadofficial with the @rte_co . Incredible performances by all! Great job, Lee...I think Liam Ead is officially born! x

@Laura2102 I'll start pushing people down staircases! x

@Brend4M Great to see you again too. I had a wonderful time, and thanks to all of you, my mam thinks I'm famous!! Safe home! xx

Tonights concert was amazing.
The Orcestra did an overture from The producers then the conductor introduced Lee and he walked on stage to sing Paint in Black. We are all used to Lee bounding on the stage at the begining so this sort of st the tone of the evening.
Lee seemed a little nerveous at first but his second song was Love Changes everything and he got a fab response, this seemed to ease him and he was soon the chatty slightly nervous Lee that we love.

Next song was Collide and it was lovely to hear this sung with an orchestra.then Lee went off and the orchestra played Send in the clowns

Lee came back on stage (Minus Jacket) and sang Beyond the Sea.Then Anthem. There was a spontaeous standing ovation at the end of Anthem & some members of the orchestra looked bemused
The orchestra played excerpts from Fidderler on the roof & all to soon it was the end of the first half

Joan, bless you for posting so late! You must be exhausted but very happy!

The orchestra looked bemused at the standing O? Aren't they used to that sort of thing? LOL

Grateful for all reports and pix possibly later. Glad you all enjoyed it. Well done Lee.

Thanks for report Joan sounds like it was a great night hope someone has pic's

Thanks for the 1st half review Joan & all the tweets PKP.
It sounds as if he made quite an impression in Dublin.

Lee just tweeted he is back in London

Thank you Joan, that was lovely to hear. I'm surprised you could remember the order, it must have been amazing!

Is there a second half review?

Sounds like Lee was really happy but he'll be exhaused after only 4 hours sleep. Back to his own bed tonight.

Just got back home after the most fabulous few days in Dublin.
6 of us flew from Manchester on Wed and were in our hotel by early afternoon just a stones throw from the Venue.After unpacking we thought we would check out the venue and pick up outstanding tickets.Strolling up the road who should we see across the street but Lee and Niall who gave us a big wave before they disappeared into the walled St Stephens Green.We were a little excited to say the least but it made the rest of our stroll around more special.We enjoyed a lovely meal at Marcus Pierre White's restaurant at an affordable price as it was before 7pm.and finished off the evening at a bar but not before the culry haired one and friend walked past us going in the opposite direction.Twice in one day,we were meadmushed to say the least.
Thurs we were typical tourists for the day and then the concert.
As lee said at varous times during the evening,this was a very special night and from the first note of the orchestra to the last it was fabulous.He was obviously nervous to start with but it didn't take long for him to settle and give a superb performance.programme for the night was as follows
The Producers(orchestra)
Paint it Black
Love changes Eeverything
Collide
CED
Send in the Clowns(orchestra)
Beyond the Sea
Anthem
Fiddler on the Roof(orchestra)
West Side Story Overture
Why God
Dancing through Life
Immortality(Saturday night fever)
Les Mis(orchestra)
Bring him home
Nothing at all
ADWD
If I can Dream
Daydream Believer

Everyone was up at the end and all seemed to have enjoyed the concert.Lee did a signing and as we stood and waited several locals spoke to us and said how much they had enjoyed themselves but were questioning whether his curls were real.We quickly cleared up the answer to that question.This was definetly a very special night and I feel priviledged to have been lucky enough to be there and experience it.Hopefully the memories I have will last for a long time as it will quite a while until my next Lee encounter.

Wow, thanks for the report Kim!

LOL, I can't believe people would question his curls! Too funny!

Great set list - would love to hear Bring Him Home - does anyone know if it was recorded?? Really hope so, even if it is not an "official" one.

For those unfamiliar with the song 'Immortality' from 'Saturday Night Fever', here it is, sung by Adam Garcia:-

LINKY THING

Glad you all enjoyed Dublin lucky ladies seeing lee and a wave wished i could have been there maybe he might do a concert here the same as Dublin would be nice i would buy a ticket thanks for the review Luv Mazza

According to the RTE Orchestra twitter feed, the concert was recorded for later broadcast but no date has been confirmed yet.

Thanks for the review Kim. So funny about the curls - did they think he was wearing a wig?!!!!
Thanks for the info about the recording PKP. I hope it's not too long before the concert is broadcast! I can't wait.

Have to say a big thank you to my OH for taking me to Dublin for my Birthday Treat,
It was worth the wait from January.
Absolutely Glorious 3 days in Dublin, even the sun shone.
The concert was really wonderful loved every moment of it.
I am not good with words to describe it,others will do that, but do have this to share.

Linky Thing

HOPE YOU ENJOY

Thanks so much for that Sunny Mead. What a treat!

Thanks Sunny Mead. Looks like an angel and sings like an angel!

Wow, thanks Sunny-Mead! He sounds amazing!

Thank you so much for that. It was beautiful and such a curve/surprise from what everyone thought would be Empty Chairs At Empty Tables. Lee surprising yet again. And again making the right choice. Hit hit and held that glorious note at the end for 13 seconds.

Thank you, sunny-mead. I think that is the most beautiful thing that I've ever heard. I can't stop listening to it. The fellow singing it is something else, isn't he?!

I got back from Dublin yesterday evening and all I can say is WOW Lee was amazing, I was a little nervous to begin with because Lee's band know him so very well, where as with the Orchestra there would be no room for Meady Ad-libs but it was amazing, the sound was just fabulous. During the orchestral bits I was transported to the shows they played the excerpts from. As a child Fiddler on the Roof was my favourite Musical, not sure why, I just loved Topol (I think I wanted him to be my Dad and pick me the perfect man..lol) and I was there seeing the fight scenes in my head during West Side Story.
Lee seemed a little nervous at first, his hands were ever-so slightly shaking and he wrung them quite a bit but boy did it not show in his performance. The sound of him with the Orchestra was amazing, Lee really comes to life during a Musical number, he gets so much more in the 'Zone' when he does them. Lee always conveys the story of the song in his face and mannerisms but during Musical Theatre songs he BECOMES that character for those few minutes. During 'Why God Why' and 'Bring him Home' particularly. Anthem sounded amazing with the Orchestra it was nice to hear it without the twangy guitar bit in the middle that really gets on my pip....lol
Fantastic concert, lovely venue (which was almost full by the way) Amazing Orchestra, really friendly people and of course Lee was just the Icing on a very lovely Emerald Cake.

Not sure if others have mentioned (sorry if they have but Lee told a funny story about when he was on the plane over, a few rows in front of him was two Irish ladies and one was telling the other ( Lee apologised for his Dublin accent) "I am going back home to Dublin and I am going to see that lovely lad that played Joseph in the West End" and the other lady said "Who's that then Donny Osmond?"

I would have loved to have seen their faces if they saw him while getting off the plane.

Jo, thanks for the link - I hadn't heard that song before and it's always nice to know what others a talking about.

Sunnymead, thank you so much for your link - it is really special. I wasn't convinced that Lee would be able to sing the really high notes but thankfully be proved me to be completely wrong. Just listened to it 4 times one after another now I'm off to listen again!

Please please Lee do this type of concert in England.

Sunny-mead, may I link to your audio in 'Latest News' please or would you rather I didn't?

Hi Kirsten yes you may glad you liked it.

Thank you! Up!!!

If any of you have any photos for me to add to "Latest News" please send!

Thanks Sunny-mead for the link,I've got all choked up again listening to it.I seem to have quite a few lump in the throat moments throughout the concert,his voice just turns me to mush.
Before Lee sang Immortality he gave us the John Travolta pose,phwoar...
He also recalled his first audition at 16,I think he said for Les Mis, when he turned up at the Shaftsbury Theatre at 6:30 am ,the first to arrive so thought he was the only one to audition.Of course he wasn't,went in to the audition,managed to sing the first line only of "Love is a many splendid thing"then was told "next".

Sunny-Mead thank you so much for Bring him Home. I have listened to it 5 times on the trot - so lyrical.
If only we could persuade RTE to release the recording as a CD "Lee Mead live in Dublin" - that would be wonderful!

Thank you everyone for the reports and link. I had not heard Immortality before so I am looking forward to hearing his version of that too.

Words fail me! That was beautiful! Thank you so much for posting!

Woozie, thank you for your lovely review & the story about the ladies on the plane!
sunny-mead, thanks for giving us that wonderful recording of Bring Him Home. It's so moving - I'm quite emotional just listening to it. I don't know what it must have felt like to see him sing it live!

Wow! Dublin was an amazing couple of days. We did some of the usual tourist trail on Thursday. It really is a beautiful and welcoming city and we would go back even without a Lee concert. In the afternoon we went to find where the concert venue was. OMG! We walked alongside the building from the right corner. We walked, and walked and some moments later saw the entrance. This is a beautiful classical building, imposing, majestic and huge! Lee is singing here? GULP!

In the evening it came alive with a buzz of anticipation. The foyer is also huge and impressive decorated in red. People kept coming; friends greeted friends and I started to tingle with excitement - this would be very special. In the foyer is a shop called the Music Box. They were playing Lee's albums which they were selling! There was quite a stock-pile at the start, but I noticed by the end of the night there weren't any left on the display stands!!

The first sight of the stage proved to be another jaw-dropping moment. The stage was full of chairs and instruments with a very small gap leading to a solitary microphone, slightly stage right. I took my seat in the second row directly in front of that mic - GULP again! I have never sat so close even on a row A. I wondered if I had sacrificed some of the sound by being this close. But the sound even that close was amazing! Being that close was incredible as I could see every facial expression and every nuance. He acted his socks off in every song. For me there were many highlights but Why God Why and Bring Him Home moved me to tears. Lee looked choked himself at the end of BHH and he got such a deserved second standing ovation. I could see the emotion expressed even through his finger tips. Even if I had gone deaf I would have known what he was singing about through his eyes and expressions. It was truly stunning. As he felt the words and closed his eyes, his lashes rested gently on his face. The stillness of these moments was beautiful. As he hit a certain note his breath lifted a front curl. I too, as Lee has tweeted, will remember this night forever.

I feel so privileged to have been there and shared it with wonderful friends. To be greeted with a hug by so many friends that night is very special.

Finally, I must mention how amazing the RTE Orchestra was. Special mention has to go to leader Mia Cooper who made her violin sing and conductor David Brophy who was so talented and entertaining. He called Lee back at the end, took his hand and lifted if high above their heads. They unusually left the stage together.

Sunny Mead - a huge thank you for the recording. This speaks for itself - it is more than words.

As has already been said, the concert was amazing. Apart from Lee of course, the highlight was a fantastic violin solo from the orchestra leader (sorry, I can't remember her name) She was very pregnant, glad the excitement didn't send her into early labour .

They were selling Lee's cds in the gift shop in the concert hall. After the show, there was a sign on the shutter saying 'all cds sold out'!!
On the way out of the auditorium, someone (can't remember who) asked the young girl usher if she was a fan of Lee. She said 'I am now!'

Aw thanks everyone for your contributions to this, i'm usually one of them but sadly I didn't go this time because it was a weekday and it would have been impossible as OH and I are running our own business now.

It doesn't take away the extreme feeling in the pit of my stomach that is gutted I didn't go but it at least helps to know some of the details.

Marg, I loved that ushers comment too

Thanks all x

Wow, this is just overwhelming! Thank you, everyone, for the reviews. Thank you, Sunnymead for the extra special song!

Our conquering hero has captured many more hearts, I see!

Thank you so much everyone!

Thanks Charlee & Marg, also Kim, sorry I missed you out on my last post.
We can't get enough of all your reviews.
Great to know they were selling Lee's cds at the theatre - even better to know they had sold out by the end of the evening!

Charlee, I must have been sitting directly in front of you, so close that when we stood, I had to step back instead of forward, I was too close to him. Thanks for your review, it sums the evening up beautifully.
Thanks for all the other reviews too, lovely to read and remember.
I'd just got over crying every time I hear him sing Anthem, and then he sings Bring Him Home!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for the lovely reviews.
I'm still too 'Meadmushed' this morning to put into words just what a wonderful trip it was to Dublin, and what a beautiful city it is too. If any of you ever get the chance to visit Dublin, I guarantee you will not be disappointed. I now know exactly why our 'Gorgeous One' loves it so much...

Lee has really moved up a gear now, fast moving into the 'International Superstar' bracket.
His voice was so strong, beautifully controlled and pitch perfect, with wonderful extended notes at the end of certain songs, so much so, I thought he would run out of breath at one stage.
It was also a dream come true for me to hear Lee sing 'Bring Him Home'...I've waited so long to hear him sing this particular song, and he didn't disappoint, he was just amazing, and I was fortunate enough to be able to tell him so at the signing after the concert...
To hear him sing with a full orchestra backing him was pure heaven, and I just hope he gets the chance to do it again sometime in the future, and more of his loyal fans are able to see and hear him...something worth waiting for.

Huge Sunny-mead too for sharing your 'gem', and the link to 'Bring Hime Home'
Lee's voice is just phenomenal.
I've played it so many times already and the tears just keep on flowing...sooo! beautiful...
mind blowing infact!
Thank you Sunny-mead, and
Thank you Lee for bringing us such joy with your beautiful voice...
Sorry everyone - a bit overcome this morning.

I can only agree with everything that has been said about the Concert, both Lee and the RTE Concert Orchestra were amazing. I feel privileged to have been fortunate enough to be there.

Sunnymead, thank you for that incredible recording of 'Bring Him Home', Lee's voice is exquisite and makes me cry everytime I listen to it, how did we manage to sit through that last Thursday.

Got back in last night and crashed on the sofa. What a wonderful trip that was! No major drama's on the trip over or back, just some data connection problems, hence the not posting of anything yet. I'm still a bit tired from the journey back, so as to do it justice and to let my head clear a bit, I'm going to take the time and post my impressions tomorrow. All the reviews have been wonderful.

Oh, can that man sing!!!

Well, finally got back down to earth, just about, after an exhausting, but wonderful few days. I was very, very lucky to have been able to get to Dublin, and spent a lovely 3 days there with my understanding hubby. Got back midnight Saturday (despite all the bad reports, we found Ryanair really very good), and after a few hours sleep, it was straight into Mothers Day activities and lovely treats from my own children, and lunch out with our dear mums. Back to work today ..... yawn.

Thanks to everyone for their reviews, pictures and that fantastic recording of Bring Him Home.... wow what a concert. Words fail me really, and I am not very good at writing reviews, but just a few musings.

What a wonderful sight to see the stage set up for the orchestra, it was going to be a special night to see/hear Lee sing with a full orchestra!
Enter the members of the orchestra, followed by the Conuctor, David Brophy. What a character he was.... so expressive and entertaining, he could hardly keep still and we feared he may fall off his podium as he got so carried away.

When the orchestra finished the opening of a selection from The Producers, David introduced the evening by saying that Ireland had undergone a "stress test" that day - this is to do with the current economy/financial situation in Ireland, something to do with seeing how business would cope with a run on the banks .... i think. He said that he hoped this evening would ease everyone's stress, and he promised there wouldn't be a test at the end (laughter). He then said it was to be an evening of musical theatre music, and then introduced Lee as a "young West End star". Enter Lee, looking stunning wearing a very dark grey suit (I think, from where I was sitting), black shirt and black tie. It was strange seeing him walk on rather than bouncing as we have been used to.

The set list has been posted, as have the little anecdotes that Lee mentioned about his audition for Marius, playing Chris in Miss Saigon etc.

Highlights for me- "Why God". Lee totally acted this. His stillness and the passion in his voice, just was indescribable. I saw Miss Saigon when it was in the West End some years ago and would love to see Lee as Chris.
"Bring him Home" - everything has been said about this I don't know what else to say, save the fact that I sat through the whole performance with my hands together as in prayer, tears welling up in my eyes.... phenomenal.
"Love changes everything" - I have been dying to hear him sing this live.

Following the Leader's fantastic solo in the "Fiddler on the Roof" selection, Lee acknowledged her performance and commented on the fact that she was "about to have a baby - very exciting". She glanced at Lee at that point, smiled sweetly, and I think she went a little pink.

Sorry, I am rattling on here... getting carried away, so I will stop. But the whole thing was amazing, and as Lee said "it will live with me forever".

Thanks everyone for the great reviews, can you tell me did he dedicate When you say nothing at all to Denise and Betsy like he usually does, thanks also for the lovely pic's

Thanks to everyone for the great reviwews. Hope he includes "Take me Home" and "Why God" in his next concert.

Glad to hear they started selling his
C.D. as well. Will all help with the next album.

Truthie, thanks for your review. I loved reading it - you can 'rattle' on as much as you like.

Thanks for the reviews everyone - it sounds like the concert was a resounding success for Lee and a great time was had by all!

Maggie Ball
Hope he includes "Take me Home" and "Why God" in his next concert.

Maggie, "Take me Home?" Don't let Denise hear that Freudian slip!

1 2