General Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2 3
Author
Comment
*SPOILER ALERT* My WEM review

West End Men – Press night – June 3rd

DON'T READ ON IF YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW THE SHOW DETAILS

Having not been to London to see Lee in a show for what seems like an age, I was very excited to be going to see WEM in the Vaudeville on press day. I had resisted going on the week prior as I wanted to see it for the first time with the other friends I went with.

As I was first to arrive in London, I couldn’t resist walking along the Strand for my first glimpse of the WEM board above the door. It wasn’t visible at first but as I got closer, a bus moved out of the way and suddenly there it was! Very exciting.

After a sunny warm picnic in Victoria Embankment gardens we strolled around the old haunts of Maiden Lane, visited the steps that Lee had the photoshoot on, took a few pics of the Vaudeville posters and ended up in Covent Garden for a coffee. Met another of our group for a meal before the show and then made our way round to the front. The red carpet was out, lots of photographers at the ready. There was a good atmosphere. We saw a few celebs arrive but then decided to go in ourselves. The foyer was very full with everyone chatting and saying hello to each other. We saw Denise and her friends who went to sit upstairs.

We took our seats, three rows back slightly to the side. As others have said, the new format of the show is very different to the ones they did last year. For me, Guildford and Leicester had been fantastic magical evenings so it was going to be hard to top. The set is also very different. At Guildford it was metal platforms with lots of lights which I liked but this was more rustic, plainer and mostly made of wood. They looked a bit crammed in the middle and I felt it could have been a bit brighter but I suppose it did make you focus on the men, which is the main aim of course. I would have liked a few higher platforms too. The first half of the show does feel a bit ‘dumbed down’ and Pure Imagination (which was my favourite from before) has definitely lost something which is a shame.

I didn’t know what to expect from the other men in the show but I was pleasantly surprised. Glenn Carter’s Gethsemane was probably the best song of the evening for me as he acted it very well and it really made me imagine him in the role. At the beginning of the song, I found it hard to listen as Lee’s Gethsemane at Kilworth will always be very special. Kerry’s songs were very strong and it certainly added to the spectacle of the evening. I enjoyed the end of the song ‘At Last’ when she was ‘choosing her guy’. It reminded me of when Mrs. Pottifer was picking on Joseph, his expressions were very similar and it was very funny the way he ran across the stage. The casual section in the middle is my favourite I think but it’s hard to choose. David’s When I hear you sing’ was probably his best. Now onto Matt…he was what I expected, young and a bit inexperienced in MT BUT I actually warmed to him and his little gestures. I didn’t think I would. I think he brought something a bit different to it, a bit more of a buzz (I didn't like his MOTN though). He was like the teenager amongst grown-ups and it was quite funny to watch in places. (He was also lovely with his fans at SD too, how I wish Lee would do that!).
The guys do have a lot of fun on stage but I felt they could have talked a little bit more and they could have sounded a bit more natural rather than scripted. The second half definitely has more ooompfh…and it soooo needs an encore! Or just a re-appearance would be better than nothing.
I would like to see it again soon when Lee is better as I did feel for him but I can see why he wanted to be there. There was lots of applause at the end.

Overall I did enjoy the show and it will make a good evening out for most but it hasn’t topped last year’s shows for me yet. Some of you may disagree with me but that’s how I saw it, I think the reviews from this year compared to last year seem to confirm that too. I am going to book again to see it soon.

Re: *SPOILER ALERT* My WEM review

As we left the theatre, we go interviewed on the carpet but I don’t know who they were and it hasn’t come to light yet, I doubt it will LOL.
Most of the guys came out of the Stage door and went onto the after show party, I think I saw everyone except Lee, who had left through the front door after we had walked around the back. I hadn’t really expected to see anyone on press night so it was nice to talk to Glenn and get a few sigs.

Good review but I don't get what you mean about the stage door. True, Lee doesn't come out after every show he does in the West End, but when he does come to the stage door he's really sweet to the fans.

I would have had a word with young Matt when I went on Saturday, but he was surrounded by too many ladies! I wanted to compliment his performance, as I was pleasantly surprised by him.

Jazzylou thanks for lovely review,how did Lee cope with his cold was his singing ok? he doesn't look too well in the pic's his eyes look full of cold bless him.x

Many thanks Jazzylou and I agree with you. I didn't get to WEM last year as Guildford I had to cancel due to a bereavement. So was really looking forward to this time around. I went last Tues (day before Lee started saving his voice) and enjoyed his sections immensely. However, I felt the whole thing was too rigid with not enough chat and the interval and end came very abruptly (I wasn't following the programme). I can't imagine why they didn't do an encore if only reprising the last song if they felt that couldn't be followed. The whole things was too short, ten mins off 2 hrs inc the interval, so an encore might have got it up to the 2 hr mark at least. Glen C was by far the best (after Lee of course) with great connection with the audience. Matt was the weakest, very BB and fine at that but not a MT star, the the other one had a good voice but I thought was a bit colourless. I also thought Kerry was shouty (too many rock anthems with Brain M?) and I much preferred Lee singing the Wicked duet with Rachel. The songs I love Lee singing and that make the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end (amongst other things) ie Gethsemene, Love Changes Everything, Bring Him Home, Anthem etc were done by others or as an ensemble, and I didn't get the hair standing! So - I'm not going again, I'll wait for his concerts and for him to sing the songs I want to hear HIM singing not others! I dont know how Matt was at the SD and Lee is always sweet but I often get the feeling, particularly at Joe where it was very hectic that he was on 'automatic pilot!). I appreciate he often has to be to get through as many of us as possible before being whisked away as the queues to see him are so long!

Hi Tanith. Yes I did think that I should have explained that a bit better. Basically as Matt came out of SD there were only a few people waiting and he spotted a couple of his fans, obviously regulars, and went over to them and gave them a quick hug and a kiss on the cheek. That's why I commented that it would be nice for Lee to do that, but Lee is different, still amazingly lovely and very generous with his time, just more reserved.

acer, Lee struggled most of the way though with his voice, I didn't want to dwell on it in the review. I think it was such a shame that the audience didn't know he was ill as it looked, in places, like he was just not singing well.

Shirley, I am going back, in fact I feel like I need to see it again to decide how I felt about the new format. I was spoilt with last year's shows and I need to see it again when Lee is better to get the full impact. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it this time. I think its hard when its a changed version of what has been before.

....besides, I need to see that red suit again

Thanks Jazzylou what a shame as he would have wanted press night to be just right

Thanks for the review Jazzylou!

I really feel for Lee as it must be so difficult to go on stage before the critics knowing that you aren't 100%. It's a shame that they didn't make an announcement before the show as they did last night so that everyone at least knew that there was something wrong.

I'm seeing WEM this weekend after seeing the Guildford and Leicester shows last year so it will be interesting to compare. It sounds as though the show has less spontaneity than before but this could be rectified as the guys relax into their performances with press night thankfully over. I hope so!

Greycat if you have time could you possibly let us know how Lee was and if he sang all his numbers please after you have been to show and if you don't mind cheers x

I said in my The Boy done Well posting that I might do a review, but I'm not sure I've much new to add.It was disappointing to see such a small audience and so I felt the need to clap like s seal twice as hard as normal,which didn't impress the very quiet man next to me, I don't think!

Lee seemed more like his 'well' self in the second half.There was clapping at the end,but with so few of us, the atmosphere was lacking a bit.Agree it needs an encore/reprise to finish with.

As I have had daily problems with all 3 over 85-year olds in my family since January, to be honest I was just glad to be out having a Life!!

A friend of mine and her daughter saw the show on Saturday and were blown away .She got both tickets FREE!! from some website she subscribes to, which does this just to ensure theatres aren't left empty.And no, she won't tell me what this website is called- some friend,eh?!

As I went to go into the theatre, David Thaxton (though I didn't recognise him at that point), stopped me and asked me if I'd like 2 tickets. As I was obviously on my own, I thought this a bit odd!! He explained that he was in the show and that 2 of his relatives couldn't make it, he was simply trying to sell their tickets on for them. I politely declined.

An enjoyable evening with a few flaws! The band are great.I saw Glenn in Superstar and Whistle DOwn the Wind,so knew he was good.

Just hoping that the weekend shows,for those of you going,have a better buzz and that Lee reverts to singing his solos by then.

Thanks for the review of last night's show Yet Another Sue! I certainly hope the theatre is busier when I go on Saturday night - it must be so much easier for the cast to generate a bit of atmosphere with a full house.

acer
Greycat if you have time could you possibly let us know how Lee was and if he sang all his numbers please after you have been to show and if you don't mind cheers x

Acer, I'll be in London for the weekend (I'm going to Saturday night and Monday night's shows) and I probably won't be on-line until I get home on Tuesday evening. I'll certainly report back then if someone hasn't filled in the details already. Based on a tweet from Abs, it seems that Lee sang 'Fix You' in tonight's show so hopefully that means he is getting better.

Hi Jazzylou, I get what you mean now, I think the reason Lee might not hug and kiss fans at the stage door is that a) He is more reserved, which I can understand as I'm not a very tactile person myself, unless it's with people I know and b) he doesn't want to single anyone out for a hug if he can't hug everybody. Thanks for taking the time to explain, as well.

Matt's still in the doghouse with me - I'd never heard The Year 3000 before Saturday night, now I'm in danger of being forcibly told by the team to stop singing it to myself in between phone calls at work! All your fault, Mr Willis! Seriously, though, I was very impressed by Matt's performance on Saturday. Maybe there are a lot of good singers out there just waiting to be rescued from Boy Bands!

That is why when we do get a hug from Lee its so special.

Greycat thank you don't worry about it whenever you have time,as you say someone may tell us if not I have you to fall back on!!!

I just want to mention (in case people haven't noticed) that West End Men mugs are available at the theatre, from the kiosk next to the Box Office. They have the picture of the back view of three of the Men (the same photo that heads their FB page) and cost £7.50 each.

I will put this on one of the other threads too.

Oh, a new mug; good! I'm still using my Joseph mug and have been wondering if I'll get a different one at some stage.

I hope you enjoy the show Greycat, I will be interested in what you think of it.

A/Liz, I got the last mug on the shelf on Monday It's nice that they are making something to take home and use.

They must have re-stocked, Jazzy - we bought a couple last night!

I'm pleased to hear that. They need new stock every day. I hope they are popular.

I'm glad that Lee sounds like he is getting better.

Lovely review just posted by Sarah Forrester @fraugretel after
her visit last night to WEM, which was her 3rd visit. She
has put a direct twitter link which takes you to her facebook
page where she has posted her review.

Thanks maggie do you have to be on facebook to see the review I can't get in it says to view page you have to log in

acer I am not sure but I assume you have to be registered on
facebook, hopefully someone will be able to post a link to it.

acer I have just noticed Ro has posted a link to the
review on the LeeMeadTimeline twitter page, so hopefully
you will be able to read it.

Just in case you cannot get the review here are the more important
snippets from this lady's review:

I have just returned from my 3rd visit to one of the most entertaining
shows in the West End - The West End Men. This show is nothing short of
phenomenal, the four leads have such charisma and camararadie - their
rapport with the audience is charming and fautless. The four of them
are just divine with performances that are so intimate and captivating
that the 2 hour show seems over in an instant and leaves you wanting
more.

What is so striking about this piece is how much they appear to be
enjoying themselves, all four do give absolutely l00%.

This was posted after her visit to WEM yesterday evening.

Thanks maggie that is a lovely review

Thanks to a text from a friend who was at the matinee today, Lee is still only singing Fix You and not the duet or CED. He is still full of cold. I think there might have been some messing about for Glenn's last matinee but I'm not sure at this stage.

I can't say that I noticed any 'messing around', to be honest. The lads were in a cheerful mood and there was a bit of chatting going on off mic but otherwise pretty much on script.

If you had never heard Lee sing before, I doubt you would have noticed anything amiss. He was drinking some water in part 2 and coughing a little bit, but very discreetly. He managed to sing Fix You and most of his bits in the group numbers and hit all his notes accurately, as far as I could tell with the usual lovely warm tone to his voice.

The other guys appear very supportive of him and seem to keep a constant eye on him to see if he needs any support. Plenty of pats on the back in evidence as well. :)

When I asked him at the SD if he was feeling better, he said 'I'm getting there, not far off now'. He was cheerful and gave a lot of time for photo taking, autographs and chat. I don't think his speaking voice sounded as husky as it did last Saturday but he still has a bit of a cold.

All in all - there seems to be a steady improvement which will hopefully continue.

Thanks Asher and all the ladies that have posted with updates
of Lee and the WEM concerts, I am sure it is appreciated by
everyone, I certainly appreciate it.

My first visit this afternoon and I loved every second of it. We were lucky enough to meet Lee before the show and had a chat and some photos. He said he wouldn't be sure what he was going to sing until he had warmed up his voice. In the end it was as other shows this week; just "Fix You" (which was mesmerising) no CED or duet. I watched him carefully (well someone has to ) and he seemed to cope pretty well with what he did sing. He coughed facing away from the audience and swigged a bit of water on occasions in act two. I can't imagine anyone not too familiar with Lee or the set list noticing anything wrong.
Didn't notice anything untoward with Glenn except perhaps the ballet dancing at the bar bit. Has he done that before?
I thought the arrangements were out of this world. Fantastic.
Lee spent plenty of time at the SD afterwards chatting and posing for photos. I took some from afar which I will try to post cropped ones tomorrow. Contact me if you see your arm or nose on one and I will email you the uncropped version!
Only two weeks to wait till I get to go again. Better than 5 months!!

Thanks Cassie, looking forward to seeing your photos on here
tomorrow.

Thanks for the reviews Cassie and Asher!

Thanks Asher and Cassie for lovely reports, he sounds on the mend

Thanks Cassie.
Glenn does do the ballet bit in the usual shows although I wasn't actually watching him because I was watching Lee .

I hope he gets better soon. I'd like to see the show next week sometime.

As promised just a few of my wave a camera in the air photos from yesterday.
As I was taking them, I was nearly "taken out" by a car. The driver leaned out of the window and said "I know you love him but could I get through!" LOL

photo SDC10929-Copy.jpg
 photo SDC10927-Copy.jpg
 photo SDC10926-Copy.jpg
 photo SDC10925-Copy.jpg
 photo SDC10924.jpg

OOOOH! Squeee! such wonderful photos. Thank you Cassie -
Sunday morning just got better...
Some lovely reviews too, thank you ladies
It's really good to hear that Lee's voice is improving steadily too.

Thanks Cassie, lovely photos, your 'arm waving a camera in the air' is very successful . Glad you enjoyed the show.

Lovely pics Cassie!

Love the driver's comment - "I know you love him but could I get through!"

Thank you Jazzylou and everyone for our reviews and Cassie, I love your photos. Missing out on WEM - your reviews mean a lot.
I saw WEM in Leicester but unable to get to London for these shows - Hoping there might be a tour later in the year and they come to the NW.

Lovely photos Cassie. I should have been there yesterday, especially with today's news :(
Hopefull I will be able to get there in the week.

Gorgeous pix, Cassie -- thank you! (Glad the car didn't take you out either!)

Still smiling at other things I have remembered from yesterday: Lee managing to incorporate a Norman Wisdom walk into his performance yesterday. He also made a wry remark to me about critics which I had better not repeat on here.
Also a girl walking past the front of the theatre going into meltdown at the sight of the poster of Lee outside. When her friends looked bemused she kept trying to explain " but look, it's Lee Mead" (I think she should have bought a ticket. It would have been interesting to see how she coped when confronted with the real thing!)

Thank you so much Cassie for the gorgeous photos and your
review and snippets of the conversation with Lee at the stage
door, I can just imagine the comments Lee made about the
critics.

Love the comment the car driver made to you, great sense
of humour.

I cannot manage any of the WEM concerts, which I am gutted
about as I loved the tour, as I am saving my money for Lee's
solo concerts which I am really looking forward to it just
seems such a long way off but it will be well worth the wait.
Getting back to the photos, you would not have thought you
were waving your camera above peoples heads they are so
brilliant and it is such a relief that, even though Lee
is not well, he looks so lovely and happy.

Thank you once again ladies for your lovely reviews, it is
so much appreciated by those of us, who for one reason or another,
are not able to go this time round.

Thank you so much to all of you who have posted, and for the fabulous photos - it really goes some way to make up for not making the show. ☺

Gorgeous photo of Lee with @karismegan11 posted on her twitter
page taken at stage door yesterday.

Would someone do a link please.

Another lovely photo of Lee with @Hazelhrc taken yesterday.

Cassie, thank you so much for your review & for posting those fabulous photos.

Thanks PKP

Thanks maggie and PKP for the lovely pic's

1 2 3