​​​​​​​

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Lee is Aladdin - Panto 2015 / 2016

Finally announced on Twitter by QDos and Birmingham Hippodrome, Lee is to play Aladdin in this year's panto, running from 19th December 2015 to 31st January 2016.

The po****r dates are already practically sold out!!!

Julian Clary is back as the Spirit of the Ring , with Marty Pellow as the evil Abanazer.

Re: Lee is Aladdin - Panto 2015 / 2016

Big panto for Lee this year with a great cast.

Hope everyone who wants to go can get decent tickets!

This is selling out very fast and the online system is not easy. 1 ticket booked so far, hope to get more by phone.

Here's another article about the cast for Aladdin.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/uk-regional/article/Birmingham-Hippodrome-Sets-ALADDIN-Pantomime-Cast-20150526

Nice write-up for Lee in this one!

This panto has a very long run - right to the end of January. I wonder if Lee is getting leave from his Casualty commitments to do this or if he plans to have moved on by then? The album release in spring 2016 will also (presumably) take up a fair bit of his time.

a lovely pic from today's rehearsals
Look in the background for our panto star

photo panda.jpg

Love the pandas!

Lee tweeted a pic of him in one of his costumes:-

LINKY THING

Those leggings are tight!

A photo from today's Panto Press Call:-

LINKY THING

Lee's looking good...and Julian's looking interesting! I wonder how heavy that giant ring is?

Another pic from press call:-

LINKY THING

The pyramids on the backdrop behind them remind me of 'Joseph'!

And one of Lee and Emily Shaw (who is playing Jasmine):-

LINKY THING

Hi everyone,
I couldn’t go to the first matinee of Aladdin without doing a review for you all because it was such a fun day.

I only booked my ticket last week! After the Garrick, I just felt compelled to book to see Lee’s debut as Aladdin. I managed to bag the last seat left in the front dress circle. I had row D7 and I have to say the view was perfect. I could see both sides of the stage and didn’t miss any of the show.

I was very grateful to travel with two ladies who had booked a while back and offered for me to join them. It’s so much nicer doing a longer journey on the train with someone to chat to even if it was musical seats on the way home due to the train being really packed just before Christmas. All good fun though!

We arrived into Birmingham New Street to a totally different vibe from the day we went to Lichfield. This time we were excited and able to enjoy the amazing new building. Having found the right exit we asked a very friendly local the way to the Hippodrome and he pointed us in the right direction which happened to be really close; just down the hill, under the bridge and we were there! I’ve put a few photos at the bottom of the venue. It’s large, bright and modern with a stylish interior and lots of large screens for advertising forthcoming shows. It was good to see Chitty advertised there for next year. And there is s life sized Lee which flashes up on the screen outside the theatre too.

We did a full circuit of the theatre before we found the stage door but we decided to wait just in case (as you do!) and joined by a few other ladies. We weren’t disappointed as Lee came up the road after about half an hour and we had a few words with him and wished him luck for the show. He admitted that it had been tiring doing all the rehearsals but he was excited to start.
(I will add that we also saw Julian who was smoking behind a pillar. As he went back into the doors we all said hello to him and he glanced back at us and said’ ‘morning’, in his very Julian way and went in. Gotta love him!)

We popped into a little cafe right opposite the theatre for a bit to eat after that. I can recommend the Spanish omelette, good value for money too!

And then to the show!!!

I made my way through the labyrinth of corridors (I got slightly lost at the interval!) along to my seat in the circle. It was amazing to see the theatre from there. I don’t know how many seats it has I couldn’t see any gaps by the time it started. It was very exciting to be there for the first of the season’s shows.

And here is where the review gets really tricky so as not to give anything away. It was a traditional pantomime story play e d by the best actors and given a modern twist. It was polished, professional and just like watching a West End show. Not that you would expect anything less from Qdos. The costumes are so detailed and well made. I love Julian’s stage presence and although all the stars had equal parts, he will always be the focal point and his costumes are AMAZING. Marti Pellow was also very good (I had been a bit unsure of him). He acted it straighter that Nigel Havers but I think he portray e d the character very well.
Lee was an amazing Aladdin (of course!!!) The comedy is clear and it certainly looks like he was having a very good time! There are some hilarious scenes and I think you will all like his costumes! (Insert smilie of your choice, I can’t choose one!)
Also a few mishaps which I really don’t think were meant to happen. One that stands out was when a mid scene curtain came down and caught Julian’s headdress and he had to pull it out. Being the processional that he is, he came out from behind dusting himself off and ad libbing something funny.

It has everything you would expect from a panto and as it is not a secret that there is a flying carpet I would just like to say that is was better than I could ever have imagined! Being in the dress circle gave be a really good view, perhaps better than those down below. The 3D was very good too!

After the show a few of us found ourselves back at the stage door (as you do, again) but we didn’t get lucky enough to see any of the other actors apart from Lee who came out with a few family members (awww) but was still happy to pose for a pic with a couple of girls and drove off for a break between the shows. We were able to congratulate him has he left. He was pleased we liked it.

We made our way back to the station and because we had quite a while until the train home, we did a bit of Christmas shopping in John Lewis and then had a coffee in an amazing coffee shop above the main station area. It’s an amazing place, just like a shopping centre.

It was SUCH a good day and I’m really happy that I made the effort to see it. Very very worthwhile. I think I will be looking to see if I can squeeze in a couple more trips before the end.

Enjoy the photos

photo SAM_6043_zpsjskr7uch.jpg

photo SAM_6044_zpsegxtl3jq.jpg

photo SAM_6053_zpssrbh4bcb.jpg

photo SAM_6046_zps8gmazcqy.jpg
 photo 20151219_141331_zpsgc8sxya9.jpg

photo 20151219_141353_zps6sanfdzl.jpg

photo SAM_6061_zpsg4pq6xuz.jpg

photo SAM_6058 - Copy_zps4yjzmhvs.jpg

Thanks Jazzy!

Fantastic review, Jazz - almost like being there! Thank you so much.

Thanks Jazzy, so happy that it went well, it looks a lovely theatre
and thank you for the lovely photo of Lee.

Thank you for doing the report, Jazzy - and with no spoilers too! Lovely pic of Lee, too - I love that coat! We arrived a little after you, and I wasn't exactly at my best. Apologies now if I've infected anyone with my germs for Christmas. Please be assured, everyone, I didn't get too close to Lee at the Stage Door - in fact, I even stuck down the envelope of his Christmas card with a damp cloth rather than lick it, just to be on the safe side!

It is a very impressive theatre, beautifully set out inside, with lots of space for having a pre-show drink or coffee. The lady selling programmes made us smile. When we said we were there to see Lee, she said, "He sings, you know!" We assured her that, yes, we did know. She must have thought we only knew him through Casualty! Our seats were way back in Row S of the stalls, but we had a great view due to the rake and angle of seating.

I have a confession to make. I am originally from the Brum neck of the woods (well, within ten miles or so). When I was two-and-a-half, I actually trod the boards of the Hippodrome as a Betty Fox Babe (I went to dance classes, tap and ballet )! From what I was told (I was a bit to young to remember my stage debut), I was taking part in a nursery scene, and had to push a toy dog on wheels across the stage. Unfortunately, there had been a mix up with the props, and my doggie hadn't arrived in time, so I had to toddle across the stage pretending to push nothing. Not my finest hour. You won't be surprised to hear I retired from showbiz about a year later.

But I digress. There are all sorts of different elements to this panto. Special effects galore - 3D, flying carpet, monsters, goodies (Aladdin), baddies (Abanazar), dames (Widow Tw an key), comedians (Wishee Washee), heroines (Princess Jasmine) .... and .... Julian There were bits I absolutely loved (i.e. any scene with Lee in it, one particularly hysterically funny one) and a few bits I wasn't so keen on, but overall a great panto. I'm sure after another visit or so (cough cough!) I will love it 100%!

We were also blown away by New Street Station. We have travelled via New St on numerous occasions to Lee concerts etc, and for the last few years it has been something of a shambles. Now it's an amazing place. I think we may have to pay a call to John Lewis on another occasion!

Incidentally, if you go to Birmingham Hippodrome FB page, they have lots more lovely photos from the press call the other day.

Oh, ALiz, you had me chuckling over your stage debut.

Hi Jazzy thanks for great review as always and pic's you did very well getting such a good seat especially getting it so late !the gods were smiling on you!
cheers acer

Thanks for the great and spoiler-free reviews.

Thanks Jazz for your review.
glad that you were able to get such a good a last minute seat.
I'm very excited about this panto. It sounds amazing.
ALiz I am also originally from Brum. though I left there when I was in my early 20's. ( many years ago )
I love Birmingham. especially at this time of year with the German Xmas market and the hustle & bustle of shoppers everywhere.

I can't wait to have a proper look around the new station. I did have a little look on my way home from Litchfield. But as you can imagine I wasn't really in the best of spirits that day.
I have to wait until after Christmas to see Lee in Panto this year
I won't be able to go to the stage door as I will be with family.
But I am really looking forward to seeing the show after reading your reveiws

It's definitely worth waiting for Joan.

A Liz, thank you for the heads up about the facebook site for the Hippodrome, I hadn't seen those other photos. Great stage story I hope you are feeling better.

Thanks for your comments on my review. Looking forward to reading more when they come in.

Happy Christmas all

Loving this - Lee tweeted an 'Interval Selfie':-

LINKY THING

He really has an expressive face!

Hmm a few people have mentioned his face. I didn't it notice at first He's dropped a spoiler there, and I was trying hard to keep it quiet!!!

Just to let you all know there are some great new (spoiler filled) pics on the Birmingham Hippodrome Facebook page

The first review I've seen:

http://www.amusings.co.uk/#!ALADDIN-Pantomime-THEATRE-REVIEW/c16ee/5679e16d0cf2c2b7798ef69c

Jane W has done another amazing review which we have added to the website. Check out our new "Aladdin Panto Reviews" page:

AladdinPantoReviews

If you have one you would like us to add to the Aladdin reviews (spoiler or non-spoiler - we will let people know), just email us. We love to have your partici-pation. It's what keeps the website fresh.

Besides, some of us (OK, moi! ) are stuck far away and will not be there in person so we appreciate all the reviews we can get.

Belated thanks to Jazzylou, ALiz and Jane W for the reviews and lovely photos!

Thanks also to AngelRose for the review from Amusings. From what I have seen, the critics seem to like the panto

I also found this review:

http://mumsclub.co.uk/theatre-review-aladdin-birmingham-hippodrome/

Sounds as though the cast are enjoying themselves and I'm sure the fun will only develop further as the run goes on - I am jealous of everyone with trips to Birmingham planned

Another two reviews on the Aladdin Panto Review page - and a few photos. May be some minor spoilers so don't look if you don't want any at all.

But for those of you who can't wait . . . or can't go . . . *phoar*

AladdinPantoReviews

Tight white breeches - reminds me of Fiyero!

another lovely review by Alex Bellfield

http://www.celebrityradio.biz/review-pantomime-birmingham-hippodrome-2016-aladdin/

Linky Thing

Great review! I especially like the bit about Lee being "...a rare 'reality' star winner who has mega talent..." very true!

Lee tweeted this pic from his dressing-room - very blingy!

LINKY THING

I see that Lee's old ADWD vocal coach popped in to see the panto yesterday!

@zoetyler: @leemeadofficial @TheMattSlack Laughed and laughed some more - Loved it thanks Lee! Sounding ace, hugs X Go see Brum panto fellow brummies

Nice tweet.

Loving this - a radio interview backstage with the cast of Aladdin:-

LINKY THING

So Lee's the least punctual!

And biggest giggler
A fun interview.

Thanks Jo for posting the link to the backstage with the cast radio interview.
only 9 more days before the last performance
how many Lee fans are going to be there for the last day?

Me, weather permitting. (I have to say that, it's my lucky charm at this time of year.)

May everyone going to the last shows today have a fabulous time!

Shame that, according to his tweets, Lee has caught a cold right at the end of the run but hopefully it won't affect him too much. At least he can (hopefully) relax for a bit after this before he has to start promo for the album release and prepare for the Pheasantry gigs.

it was lovely to see so many of you in Birmingham over the weekend.
Tanith I was so pleased that you made it

I will try to do a review later.
I am finding it a bit hard to settle down to work today.

A passing gift.

Lee was amazing in the last two shows. His cold could be heard in his voice but it didn't stop his performance and he still hit the high note at the end of Act 1 which is a bit I came to love. I can still hear it in my head.

We had press-ups in the matinee which was rather enjoyable

He was very upset about Terry Wogan as he got out of the taxi. He had only just heard the news. But it didn't' let his performance down, the professional that he is!

photo SAM_6439_zpskjt5v2wk.jpg

That is a lovely photo Jazzy
Thank you for that treat.

I wasn't in a position to take pics but here is a little gem that I did manage to get:

photo adwd.jpg

Any Dream will do

Thanks for the comments and photos Jazzylou and Joan!

Very nice

I'm looking forward to your review when you get a chance Joan. Sounds as though the panto had a good send-off.

Love the photos - thanks so much for sharing!

For anyone who was not able to go to the panto - and for those who did but would like to relive it - Jane W has done a fantastic review called 'Aladdin - The Full Story'. New photos as well. Check the website homepage for the link.

One photo in particular will be worth reading the whole review . . . let's just say, Lee looks particularly HOT in red . . .

Jane, your final review is wonderful and those photos are a joy to look at.

Oh my goodness gracious me! I never thought I would ever see THAT saucepan again - oh how I miss it already!

Thank you so much, Jane, for your wonderful review!

I loved reading that review Jane. Thank you. What a lot of detail (and that's just the saucepan pic!!)
I have a couple of SD pics which I will try to post now.

2 SD pics from Sunday. Cropped from waving camera in the air shots!

photo SDC11918.jpg

photo SDC11915.jpg

By the way, so lovely to talk to so many lovely people on Sunday.

Thanks for the SD pics Cassie
It was lovely to chat with you at the stage door.
I may have a couple of SD pics. I will have a look.

Loved reading Jane's review & I love the pics

Great review Jane!

These are lovely stage door photos. I was a little sad (but it didn't bring me down off the cloud I was on!) because I wanted to watch Lee but not to talk to him as I'd had my moment the previous evening (thanks to Jane for the lovely photo.) So I hid at the back, and hid a little too well because I only saw the top of his head! Better planning next time, Panic.

I only managed to see Lee at the SD on the very last night.
I wanted to get him to sign SunnyMeads birthday card
He did of course & she was very happy.
Thanks to all of you that signed her card

Here's a couple of my SD pics. I'm loving the shorter hair.

photo sd1.jpg

photo sd2.jpg

1 2